How To Make A Beer Crate For 12oz Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although 29 pages of awesome results is probably enough, I'll add my $0.02...

Since the 1x2 furring strips at my local big box looked like crap, and because the 1x3 strips were only a few cents more each, I did everything out of 1x3s. Regardless of what you use for the "legs" these things (I used nails and Liquid Nails for each joint) are friggin' BOMBPROOF, very solid.

The propane torch "aging" was awesome, AND fun for the latent pyro in me. I got the math on the feet wrong, instead of being long enough to make them stackable, I just made the feet as deep as the bottom boards. Oh well, room to improve next time.

revco,

These turned out great! My question would be how well would they hold a 375ml bottle? And why use the bottome slates at all with the other cross bars for holding the bottles?

Thanks for posting back when you got them built!

Cheers!
-- Steve

Awhile back, I came up with an adapted design for wine bottles. It took me quite awhile to get around to the actual project, but figured I'd post my modified dimensions from the original design and the results of the finished project. Overall, it's basically the same as the beer cases, just shorter, wider and features separators to keep the wine bottles from touching each other.

The design goal was for it to work with pretty much any kind of bottle and it does. I took things down from my original measurements to get the sizing more correct, but this will fit the bordeaux style as well as burgundy styles, and probably others as well. I also wanted to be able to remove the bottles without unstacking them, more like a traditional wine rack. Ideally, I'll put the stacks on casters so they can be easily moved from place to place eventually.

Cost wise, these eat it up due to the increased lumber. You'll go through about 2.5-3 furring strips per case, so overall cost is probably north of $5 each. Still, when you look for commercial solutions that will hold 100+ bottles you're easily north of $100-$200 for a decent solution. There might be other ways to accomplish the same goals for similar or even lesser costs, too, but this just seemed easier to put together in the end.

This was the original design:

WineCrate.jpg

And the finished product:

WineCrate_Finished.jpg

Dimensions:

(2) 1x2 @ 24" - Long Side Front
(2) 1x3 @ 24" - Long Side Back (Keeps bottles from slipping out)
(5) 1x2 @ 22.5" - Bottom Rails
(4) 1x2 @ 11.75" - Short Side Horizontal
(4) 1x2 @ 6.75" - Short Side Vertical
(5) 1x1 @ 12.5" - Bottom separators (keeps wine bottles touching/clinking during movement)

As for some tips, placing the separators in a precise position is a pain each time. Just figure out the correct measurements, cut a piece of wood to that measurement and use it as a spacer between the rails. (I used 2-7/8" from each side and 2-1/2" between each subsequent rail...it's off by about 1/16" of an inch, but I didn't really care to get into 32nds of an inch to fix it.) To make the separators, I used a 1x4 furring strip, ripped down to (3) 1" pieces, a fairly economical way to get it done. I personally prefer dropping the long side rails for stacking myself as I think it finishes a little bit better, but there's also other ways to accomplish stacking discussed in this thread.

Hope this helps someone out there!

revco,

These turned out great! My question would be how well would they hold a 375ml bottle? And why use the bottome slates at all with the other cross bars for holding the bottles?

Thanks for posting back when you got them built!

Cheers!
-- Steve

I'd bet they'd work, but unfortunately, I don't have any to test with to be sure. It'd likely fit em, as they'll hold even the largest of 750ml wine bottles I've had access to, these are the larger (fatter) burgundy styles. If you were just storing 375's, it'd be an awful waste of lumber IMO...but if you wanted to throw in one or two, I'd almost definitely fit it. Otherwise, if you just want to store 375's, all the front-to-back pieces could be shortened a fair bit, saving you almost 1/2 a furring strip.

I'll tell you this. While I was designing it, I built the prototype off my original sketchup (somewhat conservative) dimensions. I ended up having to build a second prototype, measured off the first, and ended up pretty much was spot on. In the end, I tore apart the original, re-cut the lumber and made the original prototype into a finished dimensions unit. Lesson? Cut long, you can always make it shorter. Cut short and you're wasting lumber.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

I figured I would post a picture of an old beer crate I got from my dad - he actually rescued about 6 from the Tetley brewery in Leeds (UK) when it closed a long time ago. They are all different, clearly made from wood scraps, and they are real heavy! I have another as well. Thought it might be useful inspiration for someone!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424159067.116434.jpg

Awhile back, I came up with an adapted design for wine bottles. It took me quite awhile to get around to the actual project, but figured I'd post my modified dimensions from the original design and the results of the finished project. Overall, it's basically the same as the beer cases, just shorter, wider and features separators to keep the wine bottles from touching each other.

The design goal was for it to work with pretty much any kind of bottle and it does. I took things down from my original measurements to get the sizing more correct, but this will fit the bordeaux style as well as burgundy styles, and probably others as well. I also wanted to be able to remove the bottles without unstacking them, more like a traditional wine rack. Ideally, I'll put the stacks on casters so they can be easily moved from place to place eventually.

Cost wise, these eat it up due to the increased lumber. You'll go through about 2.5-3 furring strips per case, so overall cost is probably north of $5 each. Still, when you look for commercial solutions that will hold 100+ bottles you're easily north of $100-$200 for a decent solution. There might be other ways to accomplish the same goals for similar or even lesser costs, too, but this just seemed easier to put together in the end.

This was the original design:

WineCrate.jpg

And the finished product:

WineCrate_Finished.jpg

Dimensions:

(2) 1x2 @ 24" - Long Side Front
(2) 1x3 @ 24" - Long Side Back (Keeps bottles from slipping out)
(5) 1x2 @ 22.5" - Bottom Rails
(4) 1x2 @ 11.75" - Short Side Horizontal
(4) 1x2 @ 6.75" - Short Side Vertical
(5) 1x1 @ 12.5" - Bottom separators (keeps wine bottles touching/clinking during movement)

As for some tips, placing the separators in a precise position is a pain each time. Just figure out the correct measurements, cut a piece of wood to that measurement and use it as a spacer between the rails. (I used 2-7/8" from each side and 2-1/2" between each subsequent rail...it's off by about 1/16" of an inch, but I didn't really care to get into 32nds of an inch to fix it.) To make the separators, I used a 1x4 furring strip, ripped down to (3) 1" pieces, a fairly economical way to get it done. I personally prefer dropping the long side rails for stacking myself as I think it finishes a little bit better, but there's also other ways to accomplish stacking discussed in this thread.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Where were you able to get the 1x1's? I can't find any anywhere. I think I am going to abandon my current wine rack build and move to what you have shown here. Excelent!!!

I figured I would post a picture of an old beer crate I got from my dad - he actually rescued about 6 from the Tetley brewery in Leeds (UK) when it closed a long time ago. They are all different, clearly made from wood scraps, and they are real heavy! I have another as well. Thought it might be useful inspiration for someone!

View attachment 257169

Those are cool. I like the wire running around it to hold it together. Pretty neat idea to twist the wire to tighten it up.

Where were you able to get the 1x1's? I can't find any anywhere. I think I am going to abandon my current wine rack build and move to what you have shown here. Excelent!!!

The 1x1's were just 1x4 furring strips that I ripped down to three 1x1's on the table saw. (Remember, sizing is pre-dimensioned lumber so final size is about 3.5"×.75". Cut size is 1"×.75".) You won't find 1x1's in furring strips at least, but it might be available in like moulding or something like that if you don't have a saw. (More $$ though, likely.) I've been pretty happy with mine. Have just about 100 bottles in a single stack and its holding up just fine.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Found the plans to build this for $10 here. If you know any avid wood workers or cabinet builders show them the pic and they could probably draw the plans for you.

I threw together a couple of the crates from the posted plans. I used pallet wood I had left over from another project. The Girl now wants all my bottles stored in these crates. Time to go pallet hunting.

I'll try to get a pic or two posted.

IMG_20160103_144713712.jpg

IMG_20160103_184051057.jpg

Built these for about $4 to $5 ea. They not only keep out light, they keep any bottle bombs contained. I also just re-use the cardboard divider from the case of beer bottles. Keeps bottles from clinking. The metal plate is cut from old dry erase board. The handles are made with paracord.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished a crate for Belgian Bottles

DSC01485.JPG

The dimensions are:

1"/3"
-----
4 x 10 1/4"
4 x 16"

1"x2"
-----
4 x 13"
5 x 14 1/2"

The dividers are 7" tall, I just took the dividers out of the box the bottles came in and marked where to cut.

Last edited:
Finished a crate for Belgian Bottles

View attachment 550693

The dimensions are:

1"/3"
-----
4 x 10 1/4"
4 x 16"

1"x2"
-----
4 x 13"
5 x 14 1/2"

The dividers are 7" tall, I just took the dividers out of the box the bottles came in and marked where to cut.
I might have missed where you mentioned it...but what did the cost break down to be per crate? I have assembled three using pallet wood...but only on the sides/bottom. Therefore, no stacking unless the bottles are all even across the top (which they never are with all the mixed 12oz bottles I find...haha). Thanks!

I might have missed where you mentioned it...but what did the cost break down to be per crate? I have assembled three using pallet wood...but only on the sides/bottom. Therefore, no stacking unless the bottles are all even across the top (which they never are with all the mixed 12oz bottles I find...haha). Thanks!

I think it was $15 per crate. About $5 for the dividers, $10 for two 1x3's and $5 for two 1x2's

Last edited:
Back