Old Black Lyle's Miracle Tonic - English Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashiba

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale English 04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Great big Malty English beer, the black treacle gives it a very unique flavor.
20lbs Marris Otter
1lb of Treacle - added with 15minutes left in the boil
5oz of Willamette(4.7%) at 90min

Mashed for an hour at 152, then batch sparged.

Actually spent two months in the primary, mistyped it in the field above.

Out of over 25 different recipes my brewing partner and I did last year I think this was our consensus favorite. Has a tone of depth and complexity from such a simple recipe, really starts to get good after 2 months of ageing.

We named it after the Black Lyles brand of Treacle we used, and I tried to make the label look like and old bottle of snake oil or miracle tonic.

old_black_lyles_miracle_tonic_by_bashiba1-d3higo7.jpg

No I don't have any, and I'm all out of bottles. I just made a couple kegs worth but they are getting set aside until winter time. I'll have to try and remember to take one when I finally tap them this winter.

Great snake oil style label Revvy.

I just filled 2 kegs of this for the winter, I was kind of suprised though it finished out at 1.025. This was about 7 points higher than the last time, the OG was 1.100 so it was a touch higher as well. At least there was no real noticeable difference in taste, we will see after it sits for 3 months.

Back