Opinion on RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Trying to do a 2.5 gallon batch since I only have a 5 gallon mash tun and a 4 gallon brew pot. This will be my first all-grain recipe. How's the recipe look? Not really sure about the hops. Got the idea for the hops from an Old Rasputin clone.

OG 1.101
FG 1.025

55* SRM

79.9 IBU

10.1% ABV

2.5 Gallon Batch
3.0 Gallon Boil
------------------------------------------------
(81%) 8 lbs. 8 oz. Golden Promise
(8%) 12 oz. Roasted Barley
(2%) 3 oz. Caramunich II
(6%) 8 oz. Crystal 150L or (Hugh Baird Extra Dark Crystal Malt)
(2%) 3 oz. Pale Chocolate malt
(2%) 3 oz. Belgian Special B
(2%) 3 oz. Chocolate malt

1.00 oz. Cluster @ 60 minutes
1.00 oz. Centennial @ 15 minutes
0.50 oz. Northern Brewer @ 15 minutes
1.00 oz. Liberty @ flame out

I'd personally consolidate:

8.5 lbs Golden Promise
12 oz Roasted Barley
6 ounces Chocolate
6 ounces either Special B or High Lov. Crystal

You shouldn't make things too complicated with your first all grain. Also, for a RIS, you need to expect to let it sit for a few months to a year before it reaches full potential.

For a sidenote: I don't personally like introducing the three different flavors into a RIS (dark fruit from the crystal, chocolate and roast), but that is strictly my palate. I think the recipe you have posted is good, but there is no need to use both high lov crystal and special B...they give the same flavor profile, and in my opinion, pale chocolate is out of place in this beer (more used from brown ales and porters).

As for hop schedule, I usually just do two different adds...a bittering and a flavor, but what you have is fine...hops shouldn't play a major role in a beer like what you're making.

Thanks for the info. Let me explain.

My combining of malts was inspired by a RIS recipe on this forum. That person used Crystal 120 AND Special B. They also used Chocolate malt AND Pale chocolate malt.

The recipe got "rave" reviews. Also, Another recipe I was inspired by used caramunich and pale chocolate malt and chocolate malt etc...

That recipe was also HIGHLY praised.

Not saying mine will turn out good, but if they can do it why can't I?

Yeah, I planned on having this beer sit for about 4-6 months.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back