Started to ferment again after 12 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse77

Reaction score
I am kinda stumped here. Dark Ale had fermented really heavily the first two days and then subsided as normal. I have just been letting it sit in primary. Temps went it bit high at one point 75 -76 but have been back down to 73. It's really weird. Never saw this happen or heard of it before. What you guys think? It probably has to do with Temperatures right ?

Are you sure there wasn't a leak around the rubber stopper/blow-off tube? A few degrees of temperature difference really wouldn't do that, in my opinion. I bet it was still going, but you didn't notice it because of a potential leak somewhere. Did you rouse the yeast at all during that time to kick-start it again?

Are you using an airlock? I just had one that didn't seem to finish in ten days. The Fg was a tad high

A couple of the last bottles I capped bulged the cap the first 24 hours and I'm asking my self...

Did it not finish?

I am kinda stumped here. Dark Ale had fermented really heavily the first two days and then subsided as normal. I have just been letting it sit in primary. Temps went it bit high at one point 75 -76 but have been back down to 73. It's really weird. Never saw this happen or heard of it before. What you guys think? It probably has to do with Temperatures right ?

What evidence do you have that it's fermenting again? That's basically a way of asking what hydrometer readings you've gotten--something like the airlock bubbling is not necessarily a sign that fermentation is taking place (especially but not only when there's been a temp change, weather change, or the fermenter's been moved).

What evidence do you have that it's fermenting again? That's basically a way of asking what hydrometer readings you've gotten--something like the airlock bubbling is not necessarily a sign that fermentation is taking place (especially but not only when there's been a temp change, weather change, or the fermenter's been moved).

..you're saying that it may just have been the movement making the CO2 come out of solution like when you pour a glass of beer?

..you're saying that it may just have been the movement making the CO2 come out of solution like when you pour a glass of beer?

Raising the temperature can make CO2 come out of solution, and even if it doesn't can expand the gas in the headspace and cause the airlock to bubble.

Moving the beer can make CO2 come out of solution or slightly distort the fermenter and cause the airlock to bubble.

A change in weather (e.g. a low-pressure front moving through) can decrease the external air pressure and cause the airlock to bubble.

A hydrometer can tell you if fermentation is happening. An airlock can tell you if the airlock is bubbling.

Back