Orange Vanilla Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't do this beer for your first homebrew. Those syrups are a pain to work with. If it's your first beer, brew the base beer, and add the syrups to each glass.

Once you have a few batches under your belt, then try messing with the torani during bottling.

Bumping this - for those of you who mentioned kegging, how much did you end up using in a keg? I got the sugar free Tangerine and plan on adding some to a basic wheat.

Also, what did you do to mix it? Im thinking this: put x amount of syrup in the keg, rack on top, purge, shake, taste. Put more in if needed, purge shake, taste.

Thoughts?

When I did this last year, I followed an internet recipe and put 5 oz full flavored Torani Blood Orange in the keg, racked on top of it and it was a little too much. Your method will work, adding a little at a time.

My wife just had this beer and wants us to make it. HomeBrewTalk delivers!

If anyone has learned anything new about making a clone in the last year, please post a follow up!

This is an old post that I wanted to refresh. I spent Christmas at a ranch in Tuscon, drinking Papago Orange Blossom, that encouraged me to make this.

I followed the above recipe, more or less. With my typical efficiency, and shooting for 1.050 -
4.56# White Wheat
4.12# 2- row
10 oz Light Munich
1.12 Flaked Wheat

Mashed at 153 F (for 40 minutes), adjusted water to the Bru'n Water "yellow balanced" profile.
On a 40 minute boil (I'm always in a hurry): 0.65 oz Cascade at 40 minutes, 0.5 oz semi dry hopped (after cooling because I forgot to add at flame out). Yeast pitch - RVA101 (a Chico)

At kegging: added 6 oz Torani Sugar Free Orange Syrup and 4 oz Sugar Free Vanilla.

To me: Initially - a cloying vanilla bomb. But it subsided after a week or two.
Eventually, It dropped pretty clear, and was a light, refreshing, wheat beer. Can't say its exactly a Pappago OB, but its pretty close.

Next time, I might make it 7 oz orange, and 3 oz vanilla. But for now, it a pretty easy drink, that my friends seem to enjoy more than I do. Definitely a crowd pleaser, especially with an orange wedge. I'll make it again.

JD

Back