fill level?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
When bottling does it matter how far up the neck you fill the bottle(halfway/top/bottom of neck)? Does it have any effect on carbonation or lack there of? I just finished bottling my first batch of gluten free beer (rice syrups, buckwheat/quinoa I malted myself, hops) and tried a little of as I was bottling. The good news is it tasted great, the bad news was i had already started bottling when the thought popped into my head that I did not know whether fill level mattered.

You want about an inch from the top to the beer. The nice thing about a filling wand is that when you pull it out of the bottle, it leaves the right amount of headspace.

I may have this backwards, but too much beer can give you over carbonation. Too little beer can give you gysers

Can you post the GF recipe? I have a friend who is celiac. I'd like to try brewing her a batch someday.

I think sugar content has lots more to do with geysers/ not geysers than fill level. Lessee, you want to card by 2-3 volumes of CO2, an inch of neck +/- would be 5% more or less gas in the beer instead of in the neck?

I've always filled to within an inch, per Papazian. I hate bartenders that don't give you a full glass. I bought the big diameter bottling wand, it's faster. It would leave the whole neck empty if I didn't top off by touching the wand to the inside of the neck.

Latest posts

Back