First Cider attempt - Check my recipie please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitsPale

Reaction score
So my buddy has been hounding me to make a cider - I'm not much of a fan but he is.

This being August, choices for fresh cider aren't great, so I picked up 5 gallons of Zeigler's (sp?) and used it.

It was THEN I noticed that Zeigler's is pasteurized, but then again so is Tree Top and all the other brands the store has.

Will I be okay?

Here's my recipie:

5 gallons Zeigler's cider
1 lb brown sugar
Wyeast Cider Yeast.

How will this turn out?

Andy

Pasteurized is OK, what you want is apple juice with no yeast killing preservatives in it.

I am pretty sure Wyeast says the cider yeast needs some nutrient. You might drop in a quarter teaspoon of yeast nutrient if there seems to be some trouble.

If your friend doesn't like it just leave it on a shelf in a closet for six months or so and then let him try it again.

Ok - added a bit of the Wyeast nutrient. We'll see how we do.

That said - should I plan on kegging/force carbing this?

Andy

I have to kill off the yeasties with pot. sorbate? and then back sweeten with a can or 2 of apple juice concentrate

Well, after fermentation is finished, you can stabilize with campden and sorbate. They work better when you use them together. You don't actually kill the yeast that way- but sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction. So, they are still there, but can't reproduce so fermentation shouldn't restart. After that, you can add sweetener to taste- honey, apple juice, sugar, etc. You can't bottle carbonate cider after you stabilize, though. You can make a sweet still cider or a carbonated dry cider easily, but if you want to carbonate a sweet cider you have to use unfermentable sweeteners like lactose.

Latest posts

Back