Healthy fermentation? First brew of all time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon2576

Reaction score
I researched brewing and quickly was enthused by it. First batch of caribou slobber with a deluxe kit from northern brewer. Does this look like a healthy fermentation? Not even 24 hours in and a lot of krausen is in there and the blowoff is bubbling a bucket nonstop.

Heres a picture

image.jpg

Yep, that is happy yeast from your description. What kind of yeast did you use? Dry? Liquid? What brand and what strain, etc. I always use Wyeast (liquid). Have similar activity between 12-24 hours and it goes for a day or two like that. Making starters is a good practice (though I have been lazyabout that recently)... Usually see activity within 12 hours with a starter. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. You will soon have a huge investment and great beer from your keg :mug:

My Caribou Slobber I did 3 weeks ago looked exactly like that. It blew my airlock off so I used a blowoff tube like you are doing. What temp are you seeing?

Oh and keep that covered! Light will ruin beer. I cut a little hole in a pillow case ant toss it over the carboy. Also, best to keep in a place that has a constant temp that doesnt fluctuate very much...if thats even a possibility for ya. Definately cover it up though

Oh yeah, have fun cleaning all that krausen and hops out of your carboy. I now strain my wort when adding it to my carboy.

Definately strain your wort unless they recipe/style calls for it.

Hint for cleaning: rinse out the fermenter a few times then fill it to the brim with soapy water. Let it sit overnight and.it should easily remove when using the carboy brush.

Yep, that is happy yeast from your description. What kind of yeast did you use? Dry? Liquid? What brand and what strain, etc. I always use Wyeast (liquid). Have similar activity between 12-24 hours and it goes for a day or two like that. Making starters is a good practice (though I have been lazyabout that recently)... Usually see activity within 12 hours with a starter. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. You will soon have a huge investment and great beer from your keg :mug:

Its dry. Its danstar windsor ale yeast. Its probably around 70-74 degrees is that way too hot? I heard of a method of wetting a tub under the carboy and wrap a towel around it and put a fan on it.

Oh and keep that covered! Light will ruin beer. I cut a little hole in a pillow case ant toss it over the carboy. Also, best to keep in a place that has a constant temp that doesnt fluctuate very much...if thats even a possibility for ya. Definately cover it up though

Awesome tip. It stays relatively dark. It stays under my desk and i pushed my bed up and closed it in but i think i will do the pillow case trick to be more on the safe side. Thanks for the nice tip!

I just cut a hole in the top of the box my carboy comes in big enough for the blow off tube to fit through and place the box over the carboy. Put a pillow case over your eyes and you will see that a lit of light still makes it through. Cardboard on the other hand..... none.

My own version of your idea. A jacket zipped up and tied the top. Thank you for the good tip!

image.jpg

Yeah you want to keep it a little cooler.. get a tub and fill with water.. use ice to try to keep it at 65 ish

I rotate frozen water bottles in and out of a large rubbermaid container filled with water.. oh and if you have a sticker thermometer for the carboy make sure it's above the water level in the container or it will get ruined

Awesome tip. It stays relatively dark. It stays under my desk and i pushed my bed up and closed it in but i think i will do the pillow case trick to be more on the safe side. Thanks for the nice tip!

CONGRATS, looks good. Let us know how it turns out.:mug:

My first brew was Caribou Slobber, fermented in a bucket, Wyeast 1332, only had an inch or two of krausen. Pitched at 66ºF and fermented about 62ºF., in primary 4 weeks, OG 1.053, FG 1.013, bottled last Friday.

Joe

Light from an incandescent bulb won't hurt a thing. Covering up is still a good idea from an insulation standpoint though.

Incandescent light won't hurt anything, its just direct sunlight?

Thats good to know, my wife wants to move my bottle collection to a shelf that is not behind a cabinet! These are all brown stuff already in bottles. They will be exposed to normal incandescent light a few hours a day, but other than that relatively dark room.

Incandescent light won't hurt anything, its just direct sunlight?

Thats good to know, my wife wants to move my bottle collection to a shelf that is not behind a cabinet! These are all brown stuff already in bottles. They will be exposed to normal incandescent light a few hours a day, but other than that relatively dark room.

That's fine. Direct sunlight on untinted beer can cause lupulin ( major component of hop oils) to break down. In theory florescent light will marginally break lupulin down as well but much less aggressively. Regular incandescent lights won't affect your beer at all.

Back