Question about nitrogen regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I picked up an old Uniweld nitrogen regulator from a friend a while back, and he was using it in his kegerator to dispense commercial beers. I'd like to use it with my 5# cylinder to force carb and for other misc. tasks. The problem is I'm not sure if the nitrogen PSI levels are the same as CO2 regulator PSI levels. If I dial this thing to 30 psi, is that the same regardless of the gas? I would assume so, but is there someone that knows for sure?

Looks kind of like this...but dirtier and older :D

51SeK1gM7eL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It will work...the question you might want to ask is...

What is the pressure relief valve set for? In the first photo you had a regulator with a low pressure range of 0-600 psi. Now if you had a regulator malfunction (not likely...but possible) , would you want up to 600 psi going into your keg? I wouldn't have a problem connecting that kind of regulator to a manifold...and adding a 60PSI relief valve in the manifold...as an additional safety.

Most regulators sold for beverage use...have a safety relief valve set at or just above the range on the low pressure gauge. (unless someone swapped out gauges, and not relief valves)

Just something to consider...

psi is psi

PSI is PSI - But lets not forget about solubility of N.

Try using this calculator Maintaining Draft Beer Equilibrium

I did a Bitter with CO2 & Beer Gas.

Assume the following parameters; Ordinary Bitter, 1.3 Atmospheric Vol. 50F serving temp.
Pure - 100% CO2; Practical Pressure Setting - 2 psi

Lager Beer Gas - 60% CO2 | 40% N2; Practical Pressure Setting - 22 psi

Stout Gas - 25% CO2 | 75% N2; Out of range too high.

PSI is PSI - But lets not forget about solubility of N.

Try using this calculator Maintaining Draft Beer Equilibrium

I did a Bitter with CO2 & Beer Gas.

Assume the following parameters; Ordinary Bitter, 1.3 Atmospheric Vol. 50F serving temp.
Pure - 100% CO2; Practical Pressure Setting - 2 psi

Lager Beer Gas - 60% CO2 | 40% N2; Practical Pressure Setting - 22 psi

Stout Gas - 25% CO2 | 75% N2; Out of range too high.

I don't think he is actually using nitrogen, just pure CO2 with a regulator that has gauges labeled for nitrogen.

and yes, a regulator is a regulator. Ideally I would consider putting a more appropriate safety valve in the system though, A cornie keg is rated for somewhere around 135 psi IIRC. A 60 psi safety would be an excellent choice.

Where did you get your "gas out" nut to barbed fitting that is on the regulator? Is that 1/2 inch nut reduced down to 5/16 inch barb?

Back