Partial Mash - Do I have enough enzymes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I am getting ready for my first partial mash recipe - Alaskan Smoked Porter clone. I converted the recipe from All Grain to partial mash using BeerSmith. To further complicate things I also reduced it to a small batch. In the process of tweaking the recipe, I forgot about the need to have some base malts in your partial mash to add extra enzymes to convert some of the other malts. This is the composition of my mash:

9.0 oz Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.80 %
6.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.60 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.40 %
4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.40 %

As you can see I don't have any 2 row in there. Will the Smoked Rauch and Munich malts convert OK?

You should be ok, the rauch and Munich have enough enzymes to convert themselves, and the rest of the grains don’t need conversion. The enzymes will be a bit dilute, so I would make sure to hold it at Sacch temps for the full 60 minutes. I would also consider adding some chalk or baking soda so the pH doesn’t drop too low, as a percentage of the mash you have a lot dark malt/grain.

Should be tasty, good luck.

...make sure to hold it at Sacch temps for the full 60 minutes. I would also consider adding some chalk or baking soda so the pH doesn’t drop too low, as a percentage of the mash you have a lot dark malt/grain.

Should be tasty, good luck.

Oldsock, what does "Sacch" temperature mean? Also, I am mashing with 2.5 qts of water (according to BeerSmith calculation). How much baking soda should I add to that? I don't have a pH tester. Is that regular Arm & Hammer that I would use?

How much baking soda should I add to that? I don't have a pH tester. Is that regular Arm & Hammer that I would use?

Regular A & H is what I use, but the amount will depend on your water. If you aren't sure about your water content and don't have any way to test the pH, I would just skip it, your beer will still be fine.

Back