Bottling Delay--should I still do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kakistocracy

Reaction score
I had to delay my bottling for two weeks and my beer has been sitting in the closet. I'm just a little confused on how to proceed from here since my schedule was thrown off by some untimely events and circumstantial blahbedittiblah.

The airlock has long ago stopped bubbling.

Should I still prime and bottle it now or has my window of time passed.

It's an Amber Ale fermented at 69F for 4 weeks (2 too long).

If I understand you, it is still in primary. A delay of two weeks on top of a one to two week fermentation time won't hurt anything.

You can bottle now, but I suggest you rack to a secondary bucket or carboy, taking care to avoid transferring any sediment from primary, and wait another couple of weeks at the minimum. Once you are in secondary you can wait for months before bottling if you like, but at least two weeks. Then rack to bottling bucket, again avoiding transferring the sediment, and bottle.

You know how to prime and bottle, right?

I leave almost all my beer in primary for 4 weeks. It sounds like you're right on time to me. Your beer will have a cleaner taste and less sediment in the bottles because of the wait.

Welcome to HBT!

I've been letting my beers go 21 days in primary, but I'd be fine with a month as well.

You're no where near being out of a window of opportunity. In fact, you probably did yourself a favor by getting your schedule messed up!

im in the same situation as him, it wouldnt hurt to put it into a secondary untill im done with the rest of my bottles, about another week or so right?

im in the same situation as him, it wouldnt hurt to put it into a secondary untill im done with the rest of my bottles, about another week or so right?

Leave it in primary for the week, let the yeast continue to clean up after themselves...when people rack it actually cuts out some of the work that te yeasts could be doing to make your beer crisp, clean and clear...

I leave mine in primary for a month, then bottled...they're jewel like.

I let my beer sit in the primary for 3 - 8 weeks. There is no need to rush.

Back