Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdg02

Reaction score
Was thinking of brewing a stout with the following 10 lbs pale .5 lbs roasted barley 1.5 lbs chocolate 1 lb crystal 80 & 1 lb flaked barley mashed @ 154. With .5 OSS galena @ 60 .5 OSS fugues @30& .5ozs fuggles@10. Fermented with wlp 004 Irish ale yeast any suggestions or comments this is my first try at a drinkable chocolate stout for my better half.

I'd probably drop the chocolate and crystal 80 to .5 pounds (maybe .75 for the crystal). You might also consider adding 2-4 ounces of cocoa powder near the end of the boil to add actual chocolate, perhaps bumping the crystal to .75 if you do this (since cocoa is bitter).

EDIT: You may also want to look at Northern Brewer's Chocolate Milk Stout recipe for ideas (minus the lactose).
EDIT2: I wouldn't do the Chocolate Milk Stout without the lactose. You'd need to add more crystal if you dropped the lactose.

Latest posts

Back