Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
I scored 2 Sanke kegs today at the local scrap yard.... for FREE :ban: Well, sort of an even exchange since I was dropping off a few things.

So, I'm thinking I need to build a Sanke Fermenter. Anyone want to share any tips or suggestion that have worked for you?

Cheers,
Dana

No need to "build" anything. I just use a #11 drilled ruber stopper and an airlock with great results. To clean it I built a keg/cariboy washer and just run hot oxyclean through it for about 20-30 minutes followed by a bit of star san. Works great! To move them around the garage, I bought a cheap $7-8 furniture dolly.

Do you know how to take a sanke apart? If so, do it, clean it, and put a stopper in it. Done. It's going to be around a #10-12 stopper. If you wanna get all fancy there is at least one company that I've seen that offers an all stainless kit with a thermowell.

I know how to disassemble a Sanke and I like the simple approach of using an orange carboy cap for fermentation.

I have seen several people cut a hole in the top and use plexiglass and a rubber gasket to seal. Is this just over kill or are there benefits that would make the effort worthy?

SAMPLER said:
I know how to disassemble a Sanke and I like the simple approach of using an orange carboy cap for fermentation.

I have seen several people cut a hole in the top and use plexiglass and a rubber gasket to seal. Is this just over kill or are there benefits that would make the effort worthy?

Easier to clean and able to visually monitor fermentation. I still wouldn't do it.

+1 on the orange carboy caps, you can even hook up the CO2 to the cap to push beer out through a racking cane you insert.

I just built four. Cut the tops off, welded legs on, built rotating racking arms and sealed lids

IMAG0487.jpg

This maybe a little over kill but that's my biggest problem. I can't just do something simple.
I think what the guy's said above with the orange cap would work just fine. If you want to be able
to clean the inside easier then cutting the top off is the way to go. I found 12 inch lids at the local
restaurant supply store, cut the hole a little smaller and fabbed a bar to fit under the handles with
a set screw to hold the lid tightly in place.

IMAG0490.jpg

Back