Uhhh this isnt an infection, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james138

Reaction score
So I am about to bottle this batch of blonde ale when I noticed some stuff floating on top. Please tell me this isn't infected? The picture is a little blurry because I took it through the carboy.

image-175731969.jpg

just looks like co2 bubbles to me. i get very fine bubbles in my secondary all the time. they are really fine bubbles but if you look really close you can see the individual bubbles. I would bet you are OK

I often get a "skin" on the top of my beers, sometimes with bubble-like things in it...I thought they look kinda like the beginnings of a pellicle, but have only had one beer with any souring/off flavors of note. As mentioned, taste it!

I often get a "skin" on the top of my beers, sometimes with bubble-like things in it...I thought they look kinda like the beginnings of a pellicle, but have only had one beer with any souring/off flavors of note. As mentioned, taste it!

Check your sanitation. You should never have a "skin" on the beer, unless you've introduced brett or other wild yeast somewhere along the way.

So I am about to bottle this batch of blonde ale when I noticed some stuff floating on top. Please tell me this isn't infected?

It's not infected. It's CO2 bubbles. You will almost always always get that in secondary.

Check your sanitation. You should never have a "skin" on the beer, unless you've introduced brett or other wild yeast somewhere along the way.

It's weird, cause I don't like the looks of it either, but almost all of my beers have had it, especially after they've sat a while, ie. secondary. Never had any off flavors or souring (other than one batch about 6 months ago) though. I soak my fermenters in star-san at least 5-10 minutes before racking, including lids, airlock, etc.

Doing some reading of past "Help, there's film/skin on my beer!" threads...it seems it may be a mild infection or wild yeast presence...but everyone pretty much says it doesn't affect anything unless you leave it for a long time to get worse.

As I've said, I've not had any off flavors with beers displaying this skin.

Back