Beer Cocktails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Anyone ever had any REALLY nice cocktails that have beer in them? I had one that had gin, grapefruit, and IPA in it and it was pretty good. Just wanted to hear if anyone else had had anything that was tasty and well crafted?

Cheers!

Not sure if this counts, but mash runnings w/scotch are a wonderful brew day tradition.
Hot Scotchy.

EDIT: +1 for lunchbox below! Yum. Beermosas are great too (beer & OJ for breakfast)

As a bartender I personally cringe in the presence of beer cocktails (just seems so out of place!) but I do recommend a lunchbox; quite tasty.

Michelada

(Spanish pronunciation: [mitʃeˈlaða]) is a Mexican cerveza preparada made with beer, lime juice, tomato juice (or Clamato), and assorted sauces, spices, and peppers can be added for a Chelada .[1] It is served in a chilled, salt-rimmed glass.[2]

Like a beer and a bloody mary has a delicious baby!

Bloody Larry!

1 part Ballast Point bloody Mary mix
3 parts Ballast Point Abandon Ship smoked lager

Just had some last nigt! Very tasty! Their mix is the best I have tasted and with the above mentioned beer awesome!

Colorado Mimosa: 50% Avery White Rascal, 50% OJ. Awesome with a breakfast burrito or Huevos Rancheros.

Abbot's Flip was DELICIOUS, was introduced to this by Larry Bell when I was working for him back in the day.... 24oz strong ale (used Third Coast Old Ale), jigger of spiced rum and an egg. Pour beer into a liter mug, add rum and raw egg. Shove a red hot poker into the liquid. It will instantly cook the egg, which shreds and mixes with the froth. OMG.. SO GOOD

Also had something called a Flaming Dr Pepper. Mug of light lager beer (think the place was using Coors), some kind of liquor in a shot glass (don't remember what it was, sure Google could help if I wasn't lazy). Light the top of the shot and drop it into the beer. It foams up and you have to slam it... but it tastes almost exactly like Dr Pepper. Too easy to drink LOL

As said above, Michelada!! Unlike with vodka, you can also do it without tomato juice if you prefer and still have it taste good.

Thanks everyone, those all sound pretty tasty.

I too cringe usually at beer in cocktails but with more and more flavorful beer and people experimenting with everything it is always nice to try and find somethign new.

Thanks

I might not call it a beer cocktail but I have frequently put a quarter to half oz of bourbon, or other spirit in a beer. It's like instant bourbon barrel aging!

I like the beer/tomato juice combo. I usually go for a cheap BMC, V8, dash of Worcestershire and some hot sauce...Love it.

The wort/whiskey combo sounds interesting though. I may have to try that someday.

lschiavo said:
I like the beer/tomato juice combo. I usually go for a cheap BMC, V8, dash of Worcestershire and some hot sauce...Love it.

Just needs a bunch of lime juice! Wife keeps some 40s of Mexican beer like Tecate or Sol around for just these drinks. For my money, better than a Bloody Mary for hangovers...

I've had that ipa, grapefruit, and gin cocktail before at a beer tasting in november and I'm still thinking about it. You don't have a preferred recipe do you?

Also had something called a Flaming Dr Pepper. Mug of light lager beer (think the place was using Coors), some kind of liquor in a shot glass (don't remember what it was, sure Google could help if I wasn't lazy). Light the top of the shot and drop it into the beer. It foams up and you have to slam it... but it tastes almost exactly like Dr Pepper. Too easy to drink LOL

Its a layered shot with Amaretto on the bottom and 151 on top...soo good :ban:

dry cider and stout, 50/50. sounds weird but it's pretty good. it's a bit of a 2+2=3 drink though, a good stout or a good cider on its own is just better

I've had that ipa, grapefruit, and gin cocktail before at a beer tasting in november and I'm still thinking about it. You don't have a preferred recipe do you?

I made one of these with a belgian pale ale instead of the ipa and it came out pretty good also. Interesting.

Colorado Mimosa: 50% Avery White Rascal, 50% OJ. Awesome with a breakfast burrito or Huevos Rancheros.

We do it with PBR/High Life/etc. and call it the back alley mimosa, tastes great and makes you feel a lot better after a night of drinking :drunk:

I was at Joes Crab Shack the other day and my GF bought Martini that had a corona suspended upside down in it. It even came with special attachement to hold the bottle. The gimmick being that as you drink the martini, the beer will slowly filter down. It was okay I guess but i would never order it. We used to make Beer-Garita's in college which were way better! Actually they were horrible but it was college and it kept us entertained for a couple of hours.

mrgstiffler said:
There was an article that said do 1 part whipped vodka and 3 parts The Abyss. I've been meaning to try that, just gotta get a few people together.

Wow, I wouldn't want to use my dwindling stash making a mixed drink. There must be a more readily available stout to do that with.

Supurb said:
I was at Joes Crab Shack the other day and my GF bought Martini that had a corona suspended upside down in it. It even came with special attachement to hold the bottle. The gimmick being that as you drink the martini, the beer will slowly filter down. It was okay I guess but i would never order it. We used to make Beer-Garita's in college which were way better! Actually they were horrible but it was college and it kept us entertained for a couple of hours.

I saw that same thing at Chili's the other day and thought it looked disgusting. Though it probably improves the taste of the Corona.

dry cider and stout, 50/50. sounds weird but it's pretty good. it's a bit of a 2+2=3 drink though, a good stout or a good cider on its own is just better

This is indeed pretty good...I also really like snakebites (referenced in a prior post), especially with a hoppy pale ale!

I first heard of the cider/stout combo at a Renaissance festival where they used Woodpecker cider on draft...they called the combo a "Stout Pecker..."!

not beer, but cider.

Gallon of local cider, left in the windowsill for a few days to ferment the old-fashioned way.
2 parts cider, 1 part bourbon. Mix, serve over ice.

Back