The taller collar keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So, after my failed attempt at a detachable freezer for use in the living room, due to wood being to heavy of a material, I have decided to go with a tall collar.

I have the Summit 10.6 cubic foot freezer which I was 3 months old and I scored it off Craig's list for 150$.

The main reason for having the tap tower was because I'm a tall person and I hate bending over, and after exploring several build designs, none of the feasible ones were approved by SWMBO (She who must be obayed).

So Ive gone with the 12 inch collar not because I need it for space, but because I need it out of convenience for my back.

Taps and shanks aside, i've spent ~$27 for this collar.

$20 for wood and $7 for stain, Ive decided to go with the cherry stain.

I'll be updating the thread frequently with my build, as I'm hoping to have it done by the weekend. (St. Patricks day)

20120314_211858.jpg

20120314_211926.jpg

20120314_211948.jpg

20120314_211955.jpg

20120314_212014.jpg

For a 12" collar you will definitely want to insulate and prob put a fan in. Since that's a really tall collar there will be no lines running through a large space leaving a dead space. The fan should help keep that air moving. You may already know this, but figured I would throw it out there just in case ahha.

I 2nd the insolation and fan. But have you thought about a Coffin style or a tap tower ounted to the lid (or wood lid if you make a new one)?

It may solve your hight issue with out buildin a large collar.

I didn't want to drill in the lid because the lady friend says its a really nice freezer, and that when we get a bigger place, she will want it as a freezer, and I'll be forced to scrounge again for a freezer.

Thats why I was trying to go for a detachable tap tower, but that didn't pan out.

I was definately going to insulate, I was probably going to use the Pink board looking insulation, and then have some weather strips on the bottom of it, as well as the top where the lid touches it.

I was planning on also putting in a fan, I have not yet decided on how big of a fan I will need, or what will be easiest/cheapest. I've read a few forums of how to modify computer fans, but I would have to buy it anyway, so I have all my options open.

Any suggestions are appreciated

If you wanted to you can take the lid off and build a completely new one out of wood that you just need to insulate. But going the fan route.....cheapest is a computer fan wired to a old cell phone charger ext. And if you wanted to save power you could split the "out" using a 2 way plug on your external temp controler. that way the fan only runs while the compressor runs. And since the small computer fan draws so little "amp/watts" should not affect the freezer at all.

Good call on the old cell charger!

I had picked up a 9' extension cord which I was going to chop and splice with the cord from the fan, however, the cell phone charger would have a power converter already, instead of me having to buy a 120v fan

Good tip

So I didn't mention before, but most of my tools are limited to the basic handy man tool kit and a mitre box that I borrowed from my landlord, and the drill the lady friend let me buy, because I said that it was for hanging up her drapes. :mug:

So, I got some more time to work on it tonight, and I got to put the skirt on it. However the mitre saw that I was using was not able to cut all the way through because the board was to long.
attachment.php

So I ended up having to saw by hand the last bit of it.

When I got to screwing in the boards, the measurements were off by just about 1/4-1/3 of an inch. I tried to put the gaps in the back and hope that no one would look back there.

Got wood putty?

attachment.php

Yes, that is a snow shovel with a flash light hanging from it, there are no lights out on the deck so that's what I came up with

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also bought a 3$ roll of weather stripping today, which I will put on the bottom of the wood where it touches the fridge so that I get a better seal, as well as some foil tape to tape the sides, and some styro foam for insulation. I am still trying to figure out a way to get the styro foam to attach to the wood. I know that some glues will actually melt the foam, so I think I may use a nail, but I will probably be doing it tomorrow after work, so if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

Also, anyone have an idea of how I could fill in the gaps without cutting a new board? I returned the saw after I cut it, and I really don't care enough about it to re-cut it. I am thinking i may go get caulk, and fill it in then get putty to put over it.

20120315_221930.jpg

20120315_221924.jpg

20120315_221915.jpg

20120315_221237.jpg

20120315_214438.jpg

So I sanded down the divots that I filled in with wood filler left from the screws.

I bored the holes for the tap shanks:

20120316_181745.jpg

And I ended up using a few of the spare boards to prop it up.

20120316_182716.jpg

Then as I was getting ready to fill in the gaps with some silicon, the tube exploded... Brand new tube and caulk gun:

20120316_182929.jpg

20120316_185235.jpg

Time to return that to Lowes tomorrow.

After all that I got the first coat and hopefully I'll have the 2nd coat on so that I can then put it on the freezer and get that bad larry fired up

20120316_184756.jpg

Finally finished just in time, here is the collar

Also a new cheap easy to have the temp controller in liquid
ForumRunner_20120317_122344.jpg

ForumRunner_20120317_122358.jpg

Did you not poke a hole in the tip of your silicone tube?

I did, but I think there may have been a crack in the tube, as it was the last tube on the shelf.

I made sure there was a hole in it, before I even loaded it into the gun.

Also, So since I put a skirt on it, the freezer lid is sitting back about 2 inches from the front of the lid, because of the wood. Well technically a half inch.

What I ended up doing was taking off the hinges and handle, and just placing the lid across the top.

The air inside becomes stratified, so that super cool air is on the bottom and the warmer air is on top. The fan pushes the warm air down and prevents the air from becoming stratified. There was actually a 7 degree difference where the lid was and at the bottom

The collar looks great. I'd like to do something similar for my keezer build. I saw the cherry stain, what type of wood did you use for the skirt?

Thanks!

I went with the Home Depot Pine. It was dirt cheap, and since it was sanded a bit nicer the stain came out way better.

Its a 1x12 board, and I believe for 8 feet it was like 6$

Just a heads up, the computer fan was not able to move enough air. So now I use a $6 4 inch single speed personal fan, and it keeps the lines and kegs from freezing, as well as keeping a much more stable temp inside.

Latest posts

Back