Homebrew Kicks my butt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this experience.

I'm new to this and my total brewing experience consists of 4 AG brews.

I'm really not a beer geek, more of a gear head at this point and most of the brews I've got should be around 6% alcohol. But it just kicks my butt. I try real hard not to drink too much and to know how much I've drank but more often than not after a couple of glasses I feel like I've had to much. I've even gotten sick a couple of times because I was so high (always felt fine the next day - no
hangover.)

I can usually drink a commercial 8.8% and a 5.9% back to back on an empty stomach and just get a buzz.

What gives?

I did not do any reading with the hydrometer so I'm guessing about the % alcohol as I did a clone of SN pale ale. Could it just be a lot stronger than I think?

abracadabra said:
I did not do any reading with the hydrometer so I'm guessing about the % alcohol as I did a clone of SN pale ale. Could it just be a lot stronger than I think?

Could be you have a psychological problem with home brew. :drunk: :D

Then again, we may never know since you don't have the O.G. and F.G. of the beers.

Post the grain bills and your mashing method, and we can see what the potential O.G. would be. Also how long do you boil?

EdWort said:
Could be you have a psychological problem with home brew. :drunk: :D

Then again, we may never know since you don't have the O.G. and F.G. of the beers.

Post the grain bills and your mashing method, and we can see what the potential O.G. would be. Also how long do you boil?

I don't think so but maybe it is. I sampled a small glass last night to see if it was carbonated to my liking and then had a commercial brew and Wow I felt like I drank 3 beers instead of 1.5. I guess I'll have to lay off the double bock while drinkin home brew.

A couple of times on the occasions where I got sick I just drank too much. Usually if that happens I feel like crap the next day but woke up feeling great.

I don't have the BYO clone book handy and don't remember the grain bill but I tried to follow it exactly for an SN pale ale except I used a lot less hops so the wife and family would like it.

If this isn't happening to anyone else it must be in my mind but I'm not anticipating a big time buzz it just always seems to happen. And wondered if it was just me.

Orpheus said:
I actually find a homebrew buzz more mellow and pleasant than a commercial buzz. I agree it's DEFINITELY less harsh the morning after!:mug:
Same here. Never a morning after effect like commercial stuff...especially the BMC swill.

The nice thing about homebrew is you can control the ABV%. I strive for 3.6%-4.3% beers in the summer.

Am I a light weight? Maybe. But I know I'd rather stop drinking beer because my thirst has been quenched than because it's time to go sleepy.

BierMuncher said:
Same here. Never a morning after effect like commercial stuff...especially the BMC swill.

The nice thing about homebrew is you can control the ABV%. I strive for 3.6%-4.3% beers in the summer.

Am I a light weight? Maybe. But I know I'd rather stop drinking beer because my thirst has been quenched than because it's time to go sleepy.

Ditto that. Only in the winter do I like the heavy hitters, it's hard enough to stay cool in the summer without all that alcohol in me. :drunk:

One other difference: you drink homebrew mostly at home, whereas, if you're like me, you mostly drink commercial beers at bars, restaurants, or parties.

I think I'm much more relaxed when I'm at home, less "social adreniline," etc. I think this makes me feel the effects of the alcohol more. I also don't tend to have a beer until later in the evening--when all the soccer practices or whatever have been accounted for, dinner is cleaned up, etc. The conditions are ripe for relaxing at that point.

Alcohol is a depressant, not a stimulant: I think it's more the party/bar *environment* than the booze that get's people more revved up.

Orpheus said:
I actually find a homebrew buzz more mellow and pleasant than a commercial buzz. I agree it's DEFINITELY less harsh the morning after!:mug:

Yes I agree

cweston said:
One other difference: you drink homebrew mostly at home, whereas, if you're like me, you mostly drink commercial beers at bars, restaurants, or parties.

I think I'm much more relaxed when I'm at home, less "social adreniline," etc. I think this makes me feel the effects of the alcohol more. I also don't tend to have a beer until later in the evening--when all the soccer practices or whatever have been accounted for, dinner is cleaned up, etc. The conditions are ripe for relaxing at that point.

Alcohol is a depressant, not a stimulant: I think it's more the party/bar *environment* than the booze that get's people more revved up.

Your observation here is right on the money I have to be very careful to count what I drink in social situations as my feel for the situation bears no relation to what I've imbibed (hope I spelled that right) . If I wait until I feel the effects of alcohol in a social environment I'm in deep trouble. My social limit is 3 drinks. Something I have failed to be careful about at home.

BierMuncher said:

This is something I should consider seriously.

I've got to admit that I have leaned toward big beer in an effort to truthful tell the wife and Dr. I only drink 2 beers a day except on rare or special occasions.

To my wife ( I refuse to type SWMBO as I ware the pants in this family my wife said I could:) ) 2 beers is cause to attend AA.

Thanks for the input everyone :mug:

Back