Dumb mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theo1069

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on fixing my screw up....

On Saturday I brewed a very simple wit. 50% wheat, 50% 2-row. EKG 60 minute hop addition, bitter orange peel and coriander at 5 minutes. Trying out WLP410 for the first time. I was shooting for 11 gallons post boil volume and ended up with 12.5. In after-sight the obvious solution at that point would have been to continue boiling until I got down to my 11 gallons. I didn't think about that until after I had chilled down to about 70 degrees and did not want to risk re-boiling at that point as I don't know what that might do.

Anyway, I ended up with a OG of about 1.034 and a 12.5 gallons in the fermenters (2 6.5 gallon buckets and a 2 gallon bucket), 55% efficiency. (shooting for 1.050 and 11 gallons, 77% efficiency). From what Beersmith tells me, I can expect a 3% wit out of this. I am ok with having a lower abv than expected, what I am concerned about is the end product tasting watered down and bland from the extra volume.

I don't plan on taking any action until I take and taste a hydro sample after a week. BUT if it does taste bland and watered down what would you all suggest I do? My idea is to brew a concentrated three gallon batch using 5lbs wheat, 5lbs 2-row and the same hop and spice schedule, just scaled down. This should yield me 3 gallons of 8-9% beer. Then I would rack this on top of the extra 2 gallons (currently in a 2 gallon fermenter bubbling away) - which would essentially be a big starter for the concentrated wit. This would now be 5 gallons of a higher abv and more flavorful wit. Before kegging and bottling I would blend the three buckets together. I am not sure how the math would work out, but I am thinking I'll end up with 15 gallons of maybe 5% and less thin tasting wit.

The other option is to do nothing and serve as is. Lots of big breweries have great success with thin, 3% brews....

What would you do?

I would probably leave it as is. However, If I were going to try to change it I'd make the higher alcohol batch and ferment them both independently and then blend after fermentation is complete in both right before kegging. I would also add a pound or two of Munich malt to improve body and melanoidin content.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. Great idea on the munich malt, might have to give that a try!

yeah the Munich makes a lot of sense. Since the German styles are traditionally decocted, which adds melanoidins, adding Munich, Vienna, or Melanoidin malt is kind of a must for me.

Back