10 bucks too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Too much to pay for a corny from the scrap yard?

let me know. i paid 5 bucks the time before, and mysteriously the scrap guys says the price has gone up.

Oh well, 10 is still a deal if they have the tops. If he has more than two is anyone else interested in one? I dont think i need three, seeing as how i had a guy I do business with get me three cornys for free from the pepsi bottler.:rockin:

Lowest I've seen is $12 for used but that was a long time ago plus you have to contend with shipping in most cases. I typically paid about $80 for 4 shipped. My LHBS carries them for $35 each.

If it holds pressure then $10 is still a great deal.

I pay $20, but they have all the parts and I know they hold pressure. $10 seems ok as long as they have the tops and posts

leaving right now.

the last one i got from this guy still was pressurized from the soda company.

thanks guys.

I just got back. He had two of them. One had a fairly good size wrinkle or crushed bottom corner, the second one was pretty good. So i offered them 10 for the one and i would take the lid and the posts and dip tube on the second. they said "ok".

I think it should be pretty good once i get It all cleaned up.

Its in Omaha ale.

L and K or L and M i think it is. I head up there to do business fairly often, let me know if you are looking for one and i can pick it up for you. I went from one keg owned and one borrowed from a friend two weeks ago to 6 kegs owned and one borrowed (which i will be returning now) all for 15 bucks. I do not think i need anymore right now, but like anything else with this hobby, i imagine I will need about 6 more kegs in just as many months.:)

rdwj said:
I pay $20, but they have all the parts and I know they hold pressure. $10 seems ok as long as they have the tops and posts

You get those around here in the area?

I might be heading toward kegging, sooner than I thought, and I'd like to gradually purchase the things I need :)

ill.literate said:
You get those around here in the area?

I might be heading toward kegging, sooner than I thought, and I'd like to gradually purchase the things I need :)

Ya, I know a guy at work that bought 50 of them. They're pretty nice. He'd like to keep 10 or so and get rid of the rest. I think he has them on craigslist too.

Not sure - I can find out if you want. Also, I think Cheesefood had a local guy that was about the same price. How many you looking for?

like I said, it's pretty preliminary, but it'd be for a small kegerator, in the vein of the Sanyo 4912, so I could only have two "on tap" but I'm thinking I'd like at least 3 kegs, possible 4, since you can secondary in the kegs, no?

We're not so lucky here in the UK, my HBS has brand new cornys for £89.95 ($170). Ridiculous no? Cheapest I've found them online was £60 ($115). You would have thought they were gold plated kegs. Havn't found an American website that delivers to the UK either.

Anyone from the UK know where to get cheap Corny kegs?

ill.literate said:
like I said, it's pretty preliminary, but it'd be for a small kegerator, in the vein of the Sanyo 4912, so I could only have two "on tap" but I'm thinking I'd like at least 3 kegs, possible 4, since you can secondary in the kegs, no?

Ya, they're nice to have around. I think I have 6 for two taps. I always have at least one or two available. If I ever start to lager, I'll probably need another couple.

Markusface said:
We're not so lucky here in the UK, my HBS has brand new cornys for £89.95 ($170). Ridiculous no? Cheapest I've found them online was £60 ($115). You would have thought they were gold plated kegs. Havn't found an American website that delivers to the UK either.

Anyone from the UK know where to get cheap Corny kegs?

Yeah, ebay. There's one guy that sells a lot of them. They used to be £35 including a nice chrome tap conversion, disconnects and tubing - but he's cranked up the price to around £40 - £50 now. Still, it's the cheapest in the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORNELIUS-DE-JONGS-KEG-WITH-TAP-CONVERSION_W0QQitemZ220076521690QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres the occasional bargain, though. I got 4 kegs including posts and dip tubes for £60 including postage off ebay last month. They were a bit of a state right enough.

look in your local recycle comp. mines right now sell corney's for $8.00 most do not have lids that I passed up probably around 25 of them but I did get three with everything at $8.00 each, I check about once a week.

Thanks for the Ebay advice, I've found a sale for two for £40 with 1p postage *^_^*

The only gripe I have with the description is this:

LIDS HAVE NO PRESSURE RELEASE VALVES AND MUST BE VENTED THROUGH THE GREY DISCONNECT,

Nothing to worry about right? I don't know too much about Cornys, I really should do my homework :tank:

Ok, update on the cheap keg. It is a firestone, the one that had and am used to is a cornelius.
The firestone does not appear to have a hole big enough in the gas in post to put the inch long dip tube looking deal with the rubber washer, into it. the one from my other keg will not fit into this hole.

Do i need it? will it keep pressure, assuming nothing else is wrong, with out it?

So far it has cleaned up real well. I did notice that there was two large orings on the lid. it would appear someone tried to make a go of it with this keg but must not have seen the o-ring that was stuck to the bottom side of the lid inside the keg.

Markusface said:
Thanks for the Ebay advice, I've found a sale for two for £40 with 1p postage *^_^*

The only gripe I have with the description is this:

LIDS HAVE NO PRESSURE RELEASE VALVES AND MUST BE VENTED THROUGH THE GREY DISCONNECT,

Nothing to worry about right? I don't know too much about Cornys, I really should do my homework :tank:

Markusface,

I would say go for one of the bona-fide kegs first. Spend the £50. It's clean, shiny, it's got the taps and it's ready to go.

The cheap ones I got were filthy - i'm still soaking them in oxyclean to get the Pepsi smell out. Plus the disconnects aren't included so you can add £10 to that. And then you need a tap which is around ~£20.

mcmasters

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$2.24

(2) Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.77

(3) Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417