Transporting batch to be bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawalke4

Reaction score
I have a 23 l leffe clone that has fermented and is ready for bottling. The only problem is, my bottle capper is broken so I would have to take the batch in my car to by buddy's house, who has a bench capper. I just wanted to know if the wort would oxidize after being splashed around in the back of my car for the 30 min drive. I was going to remove the airlock and plug the hole. Isnt the headroom full of Co2 and not air now, so maybe this wouldn't be a problem?

What part of your capper is broken? Can you break it further and put the capping cup in your bench vise and cap away? That would be my preference, when you move it, you are going to stir up all the nice settled yeast.

thanks for the replies guys, but that doesn't answer my original question, which is will the wort oxidize and stale in the transportation process? Is the headroom filled with Co2 making oxidization a non issue? I can let the batch settle overnight if that's the case.

issue 1: assuming its still in primary, while transporting, the yeast cake is gonna be put back into suspension. the beer will be cloudy at bottling and will have much thicker sediment in the bottles.

issue 2: assuming its in secondary, it likely will get oxidized, but you won't notice any staleness for awhile. it will gain an oxidized flavor over time..might be days, weeks or months.

Honestly, i'd have your buddy bring the capper to you, or just order a replacement (since you need one regardless) and bottle when it arrives.

order a replacement man. dont risk the oxidation. patience is a virtue in the world of homebrewing.

i think thats why the first word in the phrase rdwhahb is RELAX

Back