Challenger hop rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesterbrau

Reaction score
This is the end of my first year as a homebrewer so I wasn't around for the hop shortages of the last couple of years. A few of the recipes I've worked on so far have called for Challenger hops or other types that my LHBS doesn't carry any more. I also haven't had any luck finding a source for Challenger hop rhizomes.

Is there something special about Challenger, like the patent issues with Simcoe, or is there some other reason why they're nigh-upon unobtainable these days?

Challenger is an older English hop. I don't think it's grown commercially in the US, at least it isn't listed in the NASS report for 2008.

Dried Challenger hops widley available in the UK @ 2.2 dollars per oz + shipping

Challenger Rhizomes are available @ 12.00 dollars each + shipping.

These come from my LHBS. I know he wont ship to the US but if you are interested Ill ship them for you.

Do you know of any special legal issues with sending rhizomes internationally? I'd like to get some of those, but not at the expense of Gitmo or wiping out the North American hops industry. :)

I believe there are special permits that need to be granted for shipping root stock from overseas. And I believe California is especially picky about that. But don't worry, Obama wouldn't ship you to Gitmo...Arnold would send you to Alcatraz first.

Seriously, one of my partners knows all about these regulations. I'll find you an answer.

Back