Interesting Wort Chiller - Anyone Every Use It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a few other post on this. Most say it's a little hard to stir the wort with this spider web in there.

I've seen a few other post on this. Most say it's a little hard to stir the wort with this spider web in there.

I have the ability to recirculate, so stirring wouldn't be an issue. I guess I could've said that earlier...

I think stirring would be a moot point with a chiller of that design?

$(KGrHqFHJCME-h--7GLzBPoqN6)V4w~~60_12.JPG

>.I think stirring would be a moot point with a chiller of that design?

You would still have hotter wort on top, and colder below.
I would still stir so as to break the strata and mix the upper and lower levels.

ArcLight said:
>.I think stirring would be a moot point with a chiller of that design?

You would still have hotter wort on top, and colder below.
I would still stir so as to break the strata and mix the upper and lower levels.

I would just move the chiller up and down, side to side.

I recently made a new chiller. It's not nearly as convoluted as this one, but I used a guy's idea to have the incoming cold water split into two separate coils, and spreading the coils so that they were concentric.

After testing it, I think the biggest impact you can make on any immersion chiller is going to 1/2"/50 foot length and whirlpooling with a pump. There were people with 1/2"/50 foot just normal coiled IC's getting similar results to what I did, plus they are easier to make and clean. So IMO this and a similar length normal coiled IC would produce similar results if whirlpooled. And the regular design can be whirlpooled manually.

dbrewski said:
I recently made a new chiller. It's not nearly as convoluted as this one, but I used a guy's idea to have the incoming cold water split into two separate coils, and spreading the coils so that they were concentric.

After testing it, I think the biggest impact you can make on any immersion chiller is going to 1/2"/50 foot length and whirlpooling with a pump. There were people with 1/2"/50 foot just normal coiled IC's getting similar results to what I did, plus they are easier to make and clean. So IMO this and a similar length normal coiled IC would produce similar results if whirlpooled. And the regular design can be whirlpooled manually.

Where do you buy your copper? It's super expensive at HD.

It's expensive everywhere, it seems to have climbed a lot in the last few years. Pretty much anywhere you go it's going to be $60/50 feet. Maybe someone else here knows a better place. Coppertubingsales.com used to be much cheaper than retail but it has climbed up there also.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if you could essentially use an immersion chiller backwards? I live in an apartment that, unfortunately, doesn't have any faucets that were made within the last 30 years. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a way of hooking up to the faucet without MAJOR leakage problems. Could I run the hot wort (2.5gal batches) out of the kettle, through a copper coil in a sink full of ice water? It just seems quicker than dropping the kettle itself in an ice bath.

dieden187 said:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if you could essentially use an immersion chiller backwards? I live in an apartment that, unfortunately, doesn't have any faucets that were made within the last 30 years. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a way of hooking up to the faucet without MAJOR leakage problems. Could I run the hot wort (2.5gal batches) out of the kettle, through a copper coil in a sink full of ice water? It just seems quicker than dropping the kettle itself in an ice bath.

Sure!

Look into a jockey box. It's essentially a coil you pass warm beer through when serving in public (camping, event, whatever) that is submerged in an ice bath. Same principle. Plus, it could do double duty for you if you ever travel with a keg.

Back