Should i disturb my carboy sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
Worried about a slow carb time because my beer has been sitting in the carboy fir a month. Wondering if I should run the wand through the cake slightly to stir up some yeasties?

I second not doing it. My last porter was in the primary for 8 weeks, then cold crashed for 3 days, and it carbed up just fine. I let them condition for over a month before I cracked the first one.

I have a different take on it. When I have a long primary or extended secondary I run the bottom of my autosiphon across the bottom of the fermenter when racking to kick some of the yeast back into suspension. I just rub it across the bottom once, let yeast flow for maybe 30 seconds or so, then lift up the AS off the bottom til the beer runs clear and carefully lower it back down. It will make a runnel and remain clear.

You're just kicking up enough yeast to guarantee that there's enough yeast to do the job. But if you are careful you are not making your beer any more cloudy.

Doing that my bottles still are all crystal clear and have little sediment in them.

Back