Dum Boddels . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batesjer

Reaction score
Wish I had known that Anchor Steam bottles and Modello Negro bottles sucked, before I started bottling my Amarillo IPA. So, are the seals on the caps going to keep co2 from escaping or amy I getting two six packs of flat beer.

If you can twist the cap with you bare hand, or pop it off with your thumb like I could with my last bottling experience, you better find a better way to cap your bottles, or get new bottles, fast. (Good reson to have a friend over and drink a couple of 6-packs of Sam Adams tonight!)

earlytimes said:
If you can twist the cap with you bare hand, or pop it off with your thumb like I could with my last bottling experience, you better find a better way to cap your bottles, or get new bottles, fast. (Good reson to have a friend over and drink a couple of 6-packs of Sam Adams tonight!)

Yeah, took care of the ones that I could twist, just not convinced the others have a good seal.

though I wouldn't do it again, I've capped an anchor and had no trouble getting it to carb. I bet they'll carb.

batesjer said:
Wish I had known that Anchor Steam bottles and Modello Negro bottles sucked, before I started bottling my Amarillo IPA.

I have capped Anchor Porter bottles with a wing capper and don't remember any problems. I don't think the Porter botts are different.

I have since bought a bencher, though. Played with capping twistoffs for fun's sake and seemed to work ok. Completely tight and held carbonation during the test period.

cheezydemon said:
Do benchers break bottles easier?
No...What brakes bottles with Wing capers is the metal claw that grabs the neck of the bottle.
you could nearly stand a car on a bottle if it was pressing straight down like a bench capper.

Nine-thirty at night, SWMBO has just gone to bed, I've got a batch of bottles filled and lined up on the countertop to cap.

I pull out my trusty bench capper, forged steel from the 1930's. ( My Granddad used to brew his own, I found out later.)

On about bottle number five, I pull down on the handle, hear an explosion, and beer and glass are flying all over! Blood is running from the palm of my right hand, and I'm more worried about the remaining bottles than I am about my injury.

SWMBO had to get out of bed and help me cap the rest.........she was not happy. No stitches, just a laceration across my palm. I must have not made sure the bottle was standing up straight when I pulled the handle.

She now insists I use the wing-style capper.:fro:

Back