4912 owners!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
just bought a unit to eventually convert to a kegerator. I haven't got the chance to even hook it up yet and i'm leaving tomorrow morning for my desert trip :ban: unfortunately, this means that by the time i come back, i'll be close to my no-return date

SO...i was wondering...wtf is this wire? is it a ground? why is it disconnected? is my unit broken or something?

4912-1.jpg

4912-2.jpg

sorry about the crappy pix...i'm stuck with the phone until the new charger for my cam comes in :eek:

probably just paranoid, but i just don't get what this wire could possibly do...

THX!

I can't get at the back of mine very easily to check it, but I would have remembered a disconnected wire if there had been one. Typically loose wires on appliances are bad... It does kinda look like a ground though

a green wire is a ground - can't see in the pic what it is still attached to though. the chassis?

I just looked at mine and I've got 3 green wires connected to the ground screw. Sounds like yours just somehow got disconnected.

I'm pretty sure my fridge doesn't have any wires sticking out. Maybe you should return it?

well...look at that. it's coming off the compressor. see where the bolt is and that little black wrench shape above it? that wrench shape should be bolted down.

the compressor popped up and ripped the ground out. it should be connected to the rest of the grounds on the left.

this damn thing's broken...well, broken enough for a new fridge. guess i'm going in for an exchange early tomorrow before i go to the desert...no biggie

thanks guys

:mug:

freight damage. Dang UPS. This guy probably delivered it along with my glass hydrometer jar.

[YOUTUBE]_tN94ePhsd4[/YOUTUBE]

I wouldn't return it based on that. Just strip a little insulation off and shove it under that screw where the other green wire goes. The ring terminal just got flexed enough to break.

...or just go find another ground wire at lowes. Seems like less of a hassle than loading that thing back into your car/truck.

Assuming this is the only issue with the fridge, I agree with Bobbie and Evan. It is a ground wire. I would, however, check the thing over to see if anything else near the compressor looks damaged from a drop or puncture.

I know I about dropped mine from when I bought it, loaded it, got it home and dragged it upstairs and worked fine. I'd hook the ground up, make sure the compressor is still bolted down good and fire it up. You got nothing to lose.

i was a little drunk yesterday...couldn't figure anything out
:drunk:

yeah, i don't think i'm gonna return it...there's nothing wrong with the compressor...frame is just bent a tad and i can get that back down.

i have about an hour before i go camping and i still gotta finish packing, so this little ordeal will have to wait until i get back.

it's possible i did it anyway...i had a little trouble getting it upstairs with my bad back

:cross:

Back