Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this again on Saturday. I purchased a different grain mill that allowed me to grind the grain a lot finer. I BIAB so it I dont have to worry about stuck sparges. With the finer crush my SG was right on target like my normal non-wheat beers. Was really happy that resolved my low SG issue I had with the previous batch.

I brewed this again on Saturday. I purchased a different grain mill that allowed me to grind the grain a lot finer. I BIAB so it I dont have to worry about stuck sparges. With the finer crush my SG was right on target like my normal non-wheat beers. Was really happy that resolved my low SG issue I had with the previous batch.
Post back if you notice a flavor change after switching to the finer crush. I too BIAB and have always had a husky, grainy flavor that I suspect is caused by too fine a crush. My cereal killer is tightened down all the way, and although I get good efficiency, I suspect there may be an impact on flavor.

Post back if you notice a flavor change after switching to the finer crush. I too BIAB and have always had a husky, grainy flavor that I suspect is caused by too fine a crush. My cereal killer is tightened down all the way, and although I get good efficiency, I suspect there may be an impact on flavor.

What sort of gap are you using? I set mine to 0.032 since I heard that is good starting place for finer crush.

How does this look for a double batch? I want to use Pale instead of Pils malt, but I'm not sure about the ratio. I assume it'll work...

1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.00 %
14.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
5.00 lb Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
0.45 oz Magnum [12.75 %] (60 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
0.25 oz Magnum [12.80 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
2 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300)

I know this thread is really old but how did this turn out using the 2 row?

Holy hell just followed Ed's recipe to the T and after 18 hours I woke up to the lift cracked open and fermentation is rocking along. How screwed am I that the lid was fully opened up?

Attachments

• 20200525_075537.jpg
    20200525_075537.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
I just brewed this on Saturday. Had a low OG. I think my sparging needs refining. My last few brews the OG was way off. Anyway, shes fermenting now and smells amazing.

I just brewed a modified version of this last night. BIAB
6 # red wheat
4.5# pilsner
6 oz munich 6L

4 oz carapils
followed the rest of your recipe.
I did forget to add 2ml lactic acid in the beginning and remembered when doing my 25 minute stir and added 1ml for the heck of it then. I checked ph before and it was at 6.

First time brewing an all grain wheat beer versus extract. I ended up with an OG of 1.044 for 5.25 gallons what could have caused this?
Could not having the ph down in the 5.4-5.6 at beginning of the mash? after reading the various posts i wonder if i should have tightened the gap on my mill when i ran the wheat through but the red wheat kernels are pretty large and when i checked after a few pounds went through it looked good to me.

Last edited:
I did it 3 weeks ago and open one beer today.
Mine is banana all the way, light golden color like pineapple juice, super tick body. I like it!
It need more CO2 but time will solve that :)

Thanks Ed!

im going to try this one, but i can only do dry yeast, does anybody has traied?, the only one my supply shop carries its the WB-06 im know its a different yeast, also does anybody has brew this at a bit higher temps?, i am about 22-24 degrees and in the midnight about 18, i used to had a temp controlled freezer but its gone now.

im going to try this one, but i can only do dry yeast, does anybody has traied?, the only one my supply shop carries its the WB-06 im know its a different yeast, also does anybody has brew this at a bit higher temps?, i am about 22-24 degrees and in the midnight about 18, i used to had a temp controlled freezer but its gone now.
Lallemand Munich Classic makes a good hefeweizen IMO. I think I fermented at 66 or 67F.

The Munich Classic is my favorite dry yeast for hefeweisen
they ran out of munich or wb-06 yeast, i believe i have to" transform" this beer recipe and take to a journey to the US, with the safale US 05,

edit: my only concert its i only have Hersbrucker Hops, and i dont want to take it to more than 10 IBUs, this beer its for BMC drinkers so probably they wont notice nothing on the flavor side, but i will try to keep it about 5.6%ABV

Last edited:
they ran out of munich or wb-06 yeast, i believe i have to" transform" this beer recipe and take to a journey to the US, with the safale US 05,
Just be aware that with US-05 it won't be anything like a hefeweizen. At 10 IBUs it won't fit as an American Wheat Beer either. You'll have your own style as far as I know. I hope you will post the results - should be interesting.

well the days has passed and the brew its done, the first batch was spoiled, i dont know what happened but i got a really acid beer maybe it was contaminated at some point, the second batch, really went nice, i got about 20IBU in the end with the hersbrucker hops, the taste well it ended nice and really good, not clover or banana flavor on this beer but it taste really nice, due my efficiency i got in the end about 5.8 ABV, the only thing its that this beer its almost pale no blonde on this beer, really hazy but taste really nice

I have read most of this thread but not all. Has anyone, especially the OP, listed the water profile that is best for this brew. I was thinking about just using the Munich water profile (or the Boiled Munich from Bru'n water) but wanted to see what others are doing that works well.

I made a 3G batch yesterday and I'm fermenting it in a 5G keg.
I check an hour ago and I was not seeing any activity. The mason jar was milky and the blow off tube dirty.
So I (stupidly) pull the pressure valve of my keg to see if it's still going and a mix of yeast/krausen/stuff blows to my face.
The inpost is completely clogged :eek: The krausen is huge, it's the apocalypse in there.
There is a 2G headspace... I mean, what the ? OK, I'm fermenting a bit hot (going full banana!) but come on! 🤣

I made a 3G batch yesterday and I'm fermenting it in a 5G keg.
I check an hour ago and I was not seeing any activity. The mason jar was milky and the blow off tube dirty.
So I (stupidly) pull the pressure valve of my keg to see if it's still going and a mix of yeast/krausen/stuff blows to my face.
The inpost is completely clogged :eek: The krausen is huge, it's the apocalypse in there.
There is a 2G headspace... I mean, what the ? OK, I'm fermenting a bit hot (going full banana!) but come on! 🤣
that is one of those I am ticked it blew all over the place and yet happy it is fermenting moments.
BTW what yeast are you using for this hefepocalypse? If mine ferments like crazy I think I will trademark that name :)

Let us know how it turns out. I've not read of any dry yeast that can replicate the White Lab WLP300 or Wyeast 3068

@SDJay I have used Munich Classic several times and 3068 but not side by side. Classic is definitely worth a shot, I think it can go head to head with 3068 IMO. The last time I used Classic, @ the upper temp range, I had one of those "hefepocalypse" thingy's, lost almost 3/4 gal and that was a 5gal batch in a 6gal Fermonster. Glad I was home to baby sit the volcano. Plenty of banana but that what I like.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

@SDJay I have used Munich Classic several times and 3068 but not side by side. Classic is definitely worth a shot, I think it can go head to head with 3068 IMO. The last time I used Classic, @ the upper temp range, I had one of those "hefepocalypse" thingy's, lost almost 3/4 gal and that was a 5gal batch in a 6gal Fermonster. Glad I was home to baby sit the volcano. Plenty of banana but that what I like.
Joel B.
Thanks for the follow up. What temp did you use with the Classic?
Brew on!

@SDJay I don't have temp control so it ran a little high. 72-74F-ish. Probably one of the reasons for the "hefepocalypse", that and it was a bit of a "dunkelhefeweizenbock" creature, 1.077 OG. Wish I could find the right parts/pieces to fit a "big" (like a 1"ID) blow off hose on my Fermonster before I make it again. Oh and I'll add that I direct pitch and it works pretty quick, less than a week and it's done and rested.
Joel B.

I have made this recipe twice now and doing a 3rd batch tonight. The first two times were fantastic. I have a friend who lived in Germany for 10 years and he said it was the closest thing to the hefe's he had there since returning to the states. I only had one issue on the second batch that I am confused about - the beer ended up clear, not hazy. I followed the original recipe in this thread to a T, no substitutions or changes at all. I did not use any clearing/fining agents. I may have cold crashed an extra day (3 instead of 2) but I did not think cold crashing would cause protein haze to drop out. Any thoughts?

Just about to brew this, just confirming that there is no mash out? I'm fairly new to this and have never done a beer which didn't call for this. When using the grainfather software, not having this step seems to reduced the FG quite a bit (and changes ABV from 5.6% to 5.2%)

I don't have a grainfather, but I do use a mash and boil. I have the 1 with pump and I bring it up to 165 for about 15 minutes recirculating the whole time when I don't do extract hefes, which I do most of the time for them.

Debating on brewing this while my house is on the colder side. My LHBS doesnt have a german red malt but they do have American (breiss) red malt. They do have avangard wheat though (1.5L) . Not sure which one would be correct.

Go ahead with the American wheat malt it will be fine. I have used American pilsner too. Still a good beer, you just cannot claim it is all German ingredients. I believe it is the yeast which makes or breaks the flavor of hefeweisen.
I went ahead and ordered the german ingredients (avangard). Like you mention, the grain bill isnt the showcase.

Thanks

Brew day went well. Been fermenting for about 20 days now (stunk of rhino farts for about 12 of those days, smells great now).

Was plan on bottling today since im off. Aiming for about 2.8 vol for carbonation due to my limitations (standard homebrew bottles).

Back