Fruit in Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiffany33

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking of adding some raspberries or other fruit to a 10 gallon batch of American Wheat I have in our conical (just brewed last night). I know the wheat doesn’t usually go to secondary so I was hoping for some advice. A few questions:
1. Should we drop the trub after primary is complete (putting it into secondary) and then add fruit? If so, how long should it stay in secondary with the fruit?
2. How much fruit is good for a 10 gallon batch? We don’t want a huge amount of raspberry but a nice hint.
3. For previous batches we used priming sugar in the bottles. Thinking of adding the sugar directly to the conical (still need to do some research on this!) Will the addition of fruit affect the amount of priming sugar?

Just had a thought! We have some of the Mr. Beer containers. Could we rack the beer on the fruit in one of those as the secondary? That way we could have 1 with raspberry and 1 with cranberry or whatever...I can't think of a downside right now except for brief introduction of oxygen but it would be a quick fill with the valve. I'd love to get a few different flavors from the batch :)

I appreciate the help, much thanks!

Hmmm...no responses?!? Well we went with the Mr. Beer method. Added around 14 ounces for about a gallon and a half. We couldn't find the canned fruits so went with frozen. The cranberry was really, really tart! The cranberries weren't sweet. It wasn't awful but we will probably add fruit at a different time or try the canned stuff. Haven't tried the raspberry yet. On a happier note, the IPA we made after this brew came out really good :) Have a Falcon IPA in the fermenter now!

I'm pretty new at this but I am making a clone of one of my Dave and it called for fruit added. So what my guy told me was once primary seemed done I added about 6 pounds of fruit puree and waited about 2 weeks for that to settle in. It's bottled now and should be ready in another week or so, I'll let you know how mine urns out.

Cool, let me know how it turns out! I forgot to say that we did puree the fruit and left it for about 2 weeks. We used to add the fruit in primary when we used Mr. Beer but not sure about the conical. We'll play around with it :)

Back