Yeast from Lindemans Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, Got a question for you sour brewers out there.

LHBS doesn't have any lambic or sour yeasts on hand, apparantly i would have to special order.

Anyone had problems with ice packs not cutting it from AHS?

and

Any issues you see with making a starter from the dregs of 5 big bottles of lindemans? I am thinking this will have the Brett and the lactic acid.

Why can't your LHBS order it for you?

I'm pretty sure that Lindemans is pasteurized. How else would they get it that sweet?

I would order from AHS before having my LHBS special order, just need to know if the ice packs with the yeast work well or not.

Didn't know lindemans was pasteurized. guess there is no need to save the dregs.

It takes at least 4 days for me to get a package from AHS and the ice pack is pretty much gone by then, but I've never had a problem with any of their yeasts, even in the middle of summer. You're in AZ so it'll only take 3 days and with cooler temps these days, I'd say you're probably ok. I'm gonna be brewing a lambic pretty soon and I'll be ordering the wyeast yeast blend from them.

If you are still looking to cultivate yeast, try a better sour beer like something from Jolly Pumpkin. In the long run, its probably better to order it.

Okay, Got a question for you sour brewers out there.

LHBS doesn't have any lambic or sour yeasts on hand, apparantly i would have to special order.

Anyone had problems with ice packs not cutting it from AHS?

and

Any issues you see with making a starter from the dregs of 5 big bottles of lindemans? I am thinking this will have the Brett and the lactic acid.

I would order also.
When you culture a yeast blend you never know if one or all of the yeasts in the blend multiply evenly, or if you're going to get something like pure Brett.

Funny you mention it, I'm attempting that very thing right now. I'm using Lindeman's Gueuze Cuvée René which is wild fermented and unpasteurized at bottling. Like other people stated, the regular Lindeman's beer is pasteurized making it useless for homebrewing.

I made a starter 6 days ago and it's already active, so, at a minimum, the yeast are alive. I'm planning to wait for 3 weeks to see if a bacteria scale forms on top of the wort to verify bacteria viability.

lind_gueze_bott.gif

Possibly the oldest beer, Gueuze, or Geuze, (pronounced "GOO-za") is unseasoned, wild-fermented wheat beer. The brewers blend aged lambic and younger lambic, to taste, and a bottle refermentation occurs after capping. It is highly coveted by gourmands in Belgium who lay it in their cellars like wine.

Back