Coffee Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
This has me intrigued!

It can easily turn a stout or porter into a coffee stout or coffee porter. The usage rate is 1-20% of the total grain bill.

Is that 1% to 20% ?? or 1/20%

Has anybody here ever used it? Any recipes out there? I might have to get some next Porter time.

I have never used it, I use roasted Barley to get coffee flavor. 1-20% means not to use more than 20% in the whole grain bill.

I used it once when i was making a Oatmeal Stout. I was placing my order and they were out of the Chocolate Malt, so i went with the Coffee Malt instead and called it a Breakfast Stout. I used it at about 10% of the grain bill and the coffee taste was apparent, but very faint. I would up it next time to about 15% maybe.

But it was the first/only time i'v tried to get some coffee taste in my beer, but it seemed to work well. I have not tried just using coffee beans in the secondary however.

Back