Dry Hopping Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justintoxicated

Reaction score
The beer I'm currently brewing requires dry hopping.
However I had to open one of the 1oz packets of hops that came with the kit so I could add 1/2 oz at boil. I put the remainder of hops into a clean but not sanitized snap wear container.

Do I need to sanitize the hops before adding them?

Another question, if I follow the directions for the kit I will be left with 1/2 oz of another type of hops. Can I just put the whole oz of hops in when I dry hop?

However I had to open one of the 1oz packets of hops that came with the kit so I could add 1/2 oz at boil. I put the remainder of hops into a clean but not sanitized snap wear container.

Another question, if I follow the directions for the kit I will be left with 1/2 oz of another type of hops. Can I just put the whole oz of hops in when I dry hop?

THe hops do not need to be sanitized but if you use a a hop bag or something, that does. Without knowing the hop variety I would say yes to adding the whole oz, 1/2oz to dry hop is not very much.

I would stick with the given recipe when it comes to the dry hop amount. Experiment later when you have some batches under your belt.

There is no need to sanitize hops. They were initially introduced to beer as a method to preserve the beer... hence.... they are essentially beer sanitizers.

:tank:

I would stick with the given recipe when it comes to the dry hop amount. Experiment later when you have some batches under your belt.

There is no need to sanitize hops. They were initially introduced to beer as a method to preserve the beer... hence.... they are essentially beer sanitizers.

:tank:

But I should soak the hop bag in starsan? I also read the recommended method is to use glass marbles? I have't had marbles in years, where a cheap place to pick some up?

If you can't find marbles, I've used stainless steel wingnuts. Marbles are probably way easier to clean, though.

I use a few stainless steel bolts, they're heavy and you don't need as many, be sure to soak in star san first. It takes a lot more weight than you may think to sink those hops:)

I tried the marble trick with 3 ounces of whole leaf. They laughed and just floated the bag, so I just dumped the whole thing in and strained the beer into the keg

Hop pellets work fine for dry hopping. I often don't worry about "sinking" them and just rack on top in the secondary or throw them into the primary and float them. They will sink as they sit over the 5-7 days they're in there.

Hop pellets work fine for dry hopping. I often don't worry about "sinking" them and just rack on top in the secondary or throw them into the primary and float them. They will sink as they sit over the 5-7 days they're in there.

nice, so do I even need one of those hop bags?

The bag helps with cleanup and hop sludge in theory. I find that cold crashing and racking a bit more thoughtfully keeps everything clear. I have a few bags, but I don't think I've used one in over a year for dry hopping.

I would not worry about using a bag...just toss them in and give your fermentor a shake after 3 days or so to help get them back in solution.

Latest posts

Back