stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_sloth

Reaction score
I brewed a stout on new years day, ended up at 1.074. pitched the yeast at 68 degrees but it is around 60 in my basement. Now as of today the 24th of january my gravity reading is 1.042.

i am wondering if it is too cold in my basement? I seem to be stuck at 1.042, should i repitch some dry yeast? should i heat it up and try to get the yeast active again?

what to do?????

yes definitely agitate the wort, and raise the temp before adding more yeast, also which yeast strain are you using?

i'd try rousing the yeast and keeping the fermenter around 70 for several days and see if it picks back up.
that's a decent sized beer, what type of yeast did you use? starter? proper aeration?

the wort was properly aerated, i used wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast (sorry i neglected that information in my post).
this is my first stuck fermentation, no stater was used, this will probably prompt me to begin using them, however, I have not had an issue with any other beers.
i know air is bad at this point, what do I do th agitate, a gentle swirl like action?
what is the danger of bottleing at this point? I mean it is approx 4.5% at this point, is that a bad idea?

Just a swirl and warmer temps - agree. Bottling is not a good option, dangerous !

i know air is bad at this point, what do I do th agitate, a gentle swirl like action?
what is the danger of bottleing at this point? I mean it is approx 4.5% at this point, is that a bad idea?

yeah, gently swirl the fermenter, try not to let the beer slosh around.
bottling before FG is stable is a big risk. bottle bombs. not fun.

thank you for your suggestions!
makes perfect sense now that you have said why not to bottle, geez that would be ugly, especially with a black stout; atleast my basement would smell good.
i will swirl the wort, blanket it up and hope for the best before pitching once again!

thanks again all!

Latest posts

Back