Cheap options for a small Linux server/controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NSLU2 that I'm running has less computing power overall and works great for automation tasks and serial input/output via the USB port. I can even successfully use X forwarding with it, though that's almost always a complete waste of resources.

This thread makes the dirt cheap netbook look like a lost cause, though:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...y-linux-that-will-run-on-a-via-8505-a-860783/

EDIT: Another thread makes it look possible, but quite frustrating:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...rney-to-linux-ify-a-chinese-smartbook-862482/

For the same price, you could get a WRT54G router that will run Linux and is serial capable with a bit of tinkering. For twice the price, you can have a NSLU2 (again, some tinkering required, but less than with the router). For that same $100, you can get a SheevaPlug or GuruPlug that already has Ubuntu Linux installed. I'd spring for the SheevaPlug. The GuruPlug looks like it has a serious overheating issue.

But then I would have to log into the system remotely, at least with el cheapo I don't have to use another comp and I'd be able to surf on it.

You're going to have the same problems with that Android based netbook as the other one with Windows CE. They're the same basic architecture. Because you require a display, I highly recommend finding an x86-based used laptop that will ship to your area.

Thank for the information, it should free me from being stuck with Win CE. I am trying to load and edit IO points and control loop information during run time to get the freedom to add, subtract and move IO around with out hard coding.

For the same price, you could get a WRT54G router that will run Linux and is serial capable with a bit of tinkering. For twice the price, you can have a NSLU2 (again, some tinkering required, but less than with the router). For that same $100, you can get a SheevaPlug or GuruPlug that already has Ubuntu Linux installed. I'd spring for the SheevaPlug. The GuruPlug looks like it has a serious overheating issue.

I'v got two of the WRT54G's. They work very well. But those plugs Yuri speaks of are very cool indeed. :)

Take a look at mono. I don't have any real experience with it, but it may be a place to start.

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

I see Yuri beat me to it.

I have a C/PHP/JS solution I'll be posting soon. The C server code sits in the background doing it's thing, while the PHP/JS code handles the user interface. The UI is built by enumerating the server config.

The UI talks to the C code via TCP, so, as long as the C code is running on a linux boxen (required), the PHP/JS could be anywhere. Or, if you don't like PHP/JS, roll your own UI using .Net on a Windows box. All config is done on the C side (in a INI file), so it doesn't really matter.

You're going to have the same problems with that Android based netbook as the other one with Windows CE. They're the same basic architecture. Because you require a display, I highly recommend finding an x86-based used laptop that will ship to your area.

Ditto. Create an ebay search (and save it) that looks for laptops in a price range. I'm personally fond of old Thinkpads as they tend to be extremely rugged. The x24's rock, but beware - you might wind up bidding against me. :) Another line with a stellar rep is the Dell Latitude (also made for business use). I'd stay away from the consumer junk though.

What about temperature sensors? What kind of options do you have for working with Linux? I've seen that Yuri has built his own, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

What are some options for temp sensors and relays that will work with a Linux system without having to build the sensors myself. What kind of setups have you built and/or seen?

If you're considering an Arduino why not get the Wifi, or Ethernet, Shield and cut out the PC all together?

Latest posts

Back