First extract batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Just finishing up with my first non-kit extract batch. Its called Jolly Brewer's Best Bitter and is very dark. The ingredients are:

6lb Dark Malt Extract
1.5lb Sugar (used dextrose)
1.5oz Kent Goldings (60min)
1.5oz Kent Goldings (30min)
1tsp Irish Moss (30min)
1lb Crushed Crystal Malt
Safale S-04 Yeast

makes 5 gallons.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to expect? I'm also surprised with how much it cost for all the ingredients compared to the cheap kit jobs. I live in New Zealand though so ingredients might be more expensive to buy over here but is there quite a lot going into the beer for a 5 gallon batch?

I think you can expect beer:D Your recipe looks fine to me.

but is there quite a lot going into the beer for a 5 gallon batch?

Depends on the type of beer. If your going to do a Wee Heavy or an Imperial IPA that will require more hops, extract etc.. Generally speaking, ingredients for extract brewing is more expensive. When I did extract brewing I spent about $50 dollars for 5 gallons. Now I spend about $20-$30 with my AG setup.

1.5lb Sugar (used dextrose)

Where did you find used dextrose? what form was it in? :D

yes, it all depends on the recipe.
Last year, my IPA cost me 60 USD to make - 30 of it was hops. Thankfully hops have come back down from last spring's prices.

Enjoy that recipe, and look for or create another that's lighter on the wallet.

Extract CAN be expensive. I was buying bags of DME at 3 lbs a piece for nearly $15, hops one ounce at a time for $3-$4 and a new vial of yeast for each beer at $7. I still brew extract but have learned a valuable lesson in buying bulk. I bought 50 lbs of DME at around $2.40 a pound (that includes shipping), hops by the pound (for as little as $10 a lb) and have been reusing and freezing yeast. Since then I have cut my costs in half.

Thanks for the tip bknifefight ;) Ill have to look into what I am able to get in bulk. Im feeling a bit better now that its sitting in the fermenter. Should make for a good extra special welsh dark bitter :D

Latest posts

Back