Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to brew this tomorrow except a 3gallon batch using WLP001 at 21C. Hope it turns out just as great!

I brewed this earlier this summer with a buddy we split the batch half using WLP002 and Half using US-05. I also used Maris Otter in place of 2-row and used British equivalents of most of the grain. I added 1% swaen coffee malt as well.

We also spilt our own batches into variants WLP002 got a chai tea tincture and the US05 in 2.5g got 1 vanilla bean and 2oz cacao nibs in the keg and then a chipotle pepper tincture in the bottle.

The WLP002 versions won a gold for sweet stout and silver for spice herb the US-05 A silver for Sweet stout and bronze for Spice herb. Great base recipe that allows a good deal of tweaking.

I brewed this as a 2.5 gallon batch 2 weeks ago and bottled it yesterday. The hydrometer sample was fantastic. Just about hit the numbers as in the recipe (1.060 Original Gravity, 1.020 Final Gravity). I had some Wyeast 1728 slurry (Scottish Ale) from a wee heavy I had brewed prior. Really looking forward to this one being carbed up and ready to drink.

I'm planning to brew this soon but I have no access to roasted barley. It's not sold on any supplier in my country and I don't want to roast it myself and risk the beer. How would this change the beer overall?

I'm brewing this tomorrow morning and am pretty excited to see how it turns out! Based on what I've read, this will be delicious.

I'm following the OP. I don't have much experience so I'm seeing if I can follow a recipe well and hit the numbers. Last time I did well with the lemon summer blonde and it's delicious! If I tweak it later, I'll at least know where I started

So I got this done today. It's about 40 degrees outside today so that was fun. Had to mash inside and then crank the burner way up outside just to get a boil. Even with all that fun, it's in the fermenter.

Pictures show the color before boiling as well as foam color before hot break. This will be a good looking brew when it's finally done!

IMG_20171028_140442.jpg

IMG_20171028_141829.jpg

Yes it's certainly a delicious smelling/looking brewday. My first batch of this has been bottle conditioning for a week and a half so I'm going to try one soon, can't wait!!

I brewed this as a 2.5 gallon batch 2 weeks ago and bottled it yesterday. The hydrometer sample was fantastic. Just about hit the numbers as in the recipe (1.060 Original Gravity, 1.020 Final Gravity). I had some Wyeast 1728 slurry (Scottish Ale) from a wee heavy I had brewed prior. Really looking forward to this one being carbed up and ready to drink.

This came out fantastic! Definitely going to add this to the regular rotation.

Y'all, this is only 2 weeks in the bottle and it's so delicious. I'm going to add this to my rotation for next winter too.

The lactose balances the bitterness from the roasted barley very well. There are tasty coffee and chocolate notes in the finish. I do enjoy a good stout and this is very good.

IMG_20171206_222246.jpg

Brewed this one again yesterday. I find that this beer really ages well also. Last year I had this beer on tap along with an Irish Red, for St. Patty's Day. It was such a hit that it was requested that I brew these two beers again for this year's party. So yesterday I brewed it and next month I will brew the Irish Red. I will use 8 oz of cacao nibs again in the fermenter after a week, as it is too good to not make it this way again!

John

I ordered my ingredients (slightly different that OP) today. Using Black Full water profile, will mash at 154*F, and pH at 5.4

IMG_1050.jpg

Last edited:
I recently brewed a very similar stout to this one and had a tough time getting close to FG. Was way off, added more yeast with no luck then added some corn sugar and that brought it down a bit. About to keg it but it tastes great!

Brewed 2.5 gallons again yesterday. Difference with this batch was this was my second overall batch where I have been starting from distilled water and adjusting salts. Be interesting to see how this batch comes out compared to the last.

I just kegged this, and the sample I pulled was damn good. Anyone have recommendations for carbing pressure? I don't want to wait forever to drink it but I also don't want to ruin it by over-carbing

I just kegged this, and the sample I pulled was damn good. Anyone have recommendations for carbing pressure? I don't want to wait forever to drink it but I also don't want to ruin it by over-carbing
Mine was primed to about 2.3 volumes. I'm not sure what that translates to in keg pressure but I feel it's just about right for a stout.

Thanks for thw replies. I used the burst method on the first 2 beers I kegged (ipa and wheat beer) , I'm just worried about over carbing this one, as I want it to be smooth. I guess I should just set it to 6 psi or whatever and be patient

Go ahead and pressurize the keg to 30-35 PSI. The pressure will drop as the CO2 dissolves into the beer, and you should be back down to a low pressure within a couple days. Carbonating a beer with a regulator set to 6PSI to reach a stable 6PSI in the keg head space would take a couple weeks in my experience.

How did it turn out using that water profile? I used local spring water without any additions and it turned out damn good, but I know theres room for improvement if I start with ro/distilled and build up the water
I ordered my ingredients (slightly different that OP) today. Using Black Full water profile, will mash at 154*F, and pH at 5.4

View attachment 554693

This is my St Pat’s Beer so I’ll tap it tomorrow and let you know. All samples to this point indicate a tasty brew.

Anyone have suggestions for water profile/additions? Using 8 gallons distilled water, BIAB. I'm trying to play around with bru'n water on my phone with no success, and Id like to brew this tomorrow

Anyone have suggestions for water profile/additions? Using 8 gallons distilled water, BIAB. I'm trying to play around with bru'n water on my phone with no success, and Id like to brew this tomorrow
Bru'n water works best on PC since it's designed to be used with Excel. It takes some poking around but I've found it to be pretty intuitive once you get used to it. You can put in that you're diluting your tap water by 100% with RO water and then add your grain bill and target style. You'll have to fiddle with the amounts of each addition in order to match the target addition amounts.

All I did was use filtered tap water with a couple tsp of gypsum. I doubt that helps you though since it was recommended by the homvrew shop I use in Cincinnati.

Any thoughts on how these numbers/additions look?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180321-231920.png
    Screenshot_20180321-231920.png
    102 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20180321-231925.png
    Screenshot_20180321-231925.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20180321-231901.png
    Screenshot_20180321-231901.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 108
Any thoughts on how these numbers/additions look?
It's hard to say but plugging your salt additions in for my equipment profile and batch size skews it by a lot. Is that the amount added to the batch or just the mash? It seems like way too much.

See below. I'm too lazy to get a real screen grab. I am still figuring out this spreadsheet somewhat so take that into consideration as I may have messed something up.

IMG_20180322_163957.jpg

I played around with Bru'n water a bit. Does this look better?

Attachments

• 20180322_224233.jpg
    20180322_224233.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 192
I played around with Bru'n water a bit. Does this look better?
It's up to you, honestly. I probably had something skewed in the spreadsheet because my pH was way low. It seemed to cooperate for my last brew but who knows.

In the end, it is your beer and you know your system and processes best. As long as the additions are close, I'm sure it will turn out tasty.

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow with those water additions, we'll see how it turns out in a few weeks lol

How did it turn out using that water profile? I used local spring water without any additions and it turned out damn good, but I know theres room for improvement if I start with ro/distilled and build up the water

It turned out excellent! Smooth, rich, easy drinking.
IMG_1110.JPG

This is now on permanent rotation in the house since the Mrs loves it. I add two ozs of whole coffee beans after fermentation for two to three weeks for a pleasant hint of coffee. I soak them in a little bit of bourbon to soften them up and kill any unfriendly bugs, but other than that just toss them in the fermenter.

Currently using Black Rifle Coffee Company "Beyond Black" roast.

Great recipe.

Back