Oak smoke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was re-reading the "Smoked Beers" book that Ray Daniels and Geoff Larson wrote, and they mentioned that one wood that used to be used occassionally in smoking malt was oak. As it happens, I've got a chunk of oak left over from a project that's not really big enough to use on any NEW projects, that I could easily make into chips for smoking - but I have no idea what kind of character oak chips would impart when smoked. Not a wood that you ever hear about anyone using.

Anyone have any idea? Anyone ever use oak chips/chunks for smoking before?

Hmmmm...I've used the Jack Daniels Smoking Chips both in my beers and in food, and never gave it much thought...

I just went a googled them, because I thought they were oak barrels...

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey Wood Smoking Chips are made from 100% Jack Daniel's oak aging barrels. Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey is aged in charred white oak barrels. During the aging process, the whiskey is drawn in and out of the wood giving it its distinctive color and flavor. A portion of whiskey remains in the wood after the barrels are emptied. Some of these barrels are made into Jack Daniel's Wood Smoking Chips. These smoking chips will add the distinctive flavor of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey to all your grilled foods! Use in charcoal, gas grills or smokers.

I can't really describe the flavor...It's like the above says, "distinctive" it's a cleanier, "woodier" flavor than mesquite or Hickory....

This is a good description of it from a What woods can I use to smoke with Faq.

It has a medium smoky flavor that is stronger than apple and cherry, but lighter than hickory. As a result, it mixes well with these three woods, but also works great by itself. It has a dense, tight grain and a color ranging from almost white to yellow to red.

The jack chips do impart a lightly sweet bourbon flavor to whatever I use them on/in.

Hope this helps...think clean smoke without the noticeable "tang" that comes from hickory or mesquite.

I smokes some pale malt with river oak (similar to a live oak). That is probably not the same oak as you, but it had a nice "woody" flavor.

I think just about any non-tropical hardwood (maple, ash, walnut, pecan, oak, etc.) would produce a reasonably good flavor. I would avoid the tropical one's such as mahogany which have a higher oil content and the "soft" hardwoods like poplar and basswood.

I smoke quite a bit of food in my smoker and actually quite a few people use oak. Not as popular as hickory, apple, or mesquite. I have used it many times and it is a more mild smoke. Its in between apple and hickory, apple being mild and hickory being strong smoke flavor. The amount of smokiness also depends on how much wood you use. I have also seen old wine barrel chunks they sell which I believe is oak.

Back