Dusseldorf Altbier Brewery visit - Fuchschen - Pics & Youtube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool post. I think I had dinner there when I was in Dusseldorf last year. The tables restaurant part looks very familiar.

Pitched yeast yesterday morning, and by evening the altbier clones using that Fuchschen yeast were wearing a fat kraeusen. 1.050 OG.

After growing the yeast sample on my stir plate, then decanting, I counted cells under my microscope. I pitched at about 12 million cells / ml wort. (thats about 3.5 billion cells per gallon per °Plato). Thats overpitching by a bit, but I'm fermenting this at 55F so I think the extra yeast was a good idea.

2011-11-25_at_20_15_50.jpg

I have a ton of these little 15ml tubes (I used to freeze yeast in them). Maybe I could grow a bunch, fill tubes, and send them out.

It's possible that the Wyeast Dusseldorf altbier yeast is the same strain. No way to know, really.

Just found this and had to mark it. I'm headed to Dusseldorf, Cologne, Einbeck, Bamberg, Wippra and Munich later this summer. Any suggestions.

Is there a way I could get a sample of this Alt yeast? I stationed in the UK and I'm willing to trade my yeast i got from paulaner's hefeweizen at Oktoberfest last year =D or anything else you may want..lol. I LOVE ALTs!!

Just incredible @passedpawn . Thanks for the videos. I know it's not a recent post but I just found it while looking for an alt recipe. I have never had an Alt nor made one. Going to have a crack at one soon using a Kolsch yeast (WLP029) at low temperatures.

Those open fermenters were great to see. I can only imagine the delicious aromas in the room.

Think I'll have a crack at your recipe. Any significant changes you would make?

Just incredible @passedpawn . Thanks for the videos. I know it's not a recent post but I just found it while looking for an alt recipe. I have never had an Alt nor made one. Going to have a crack at one soon using a Kolsch yeast (WLP029) at low temperatures.

Those open fermenters were great to see. I can only imagine the delicious aromas in the room.

Glad you got something out of it. I'm on mobile and not good with that, sill just be brief and say to review my notes from Ollie the brewer. When I got back I ignored his instructions and created my own recipe it ended up mediocre.

I'll try to remember to come back and say more when I have a real keyboard in front of me.

Glad you got something out of it. I'm on mobile and not good with that, sill just be brief and say to review my notes from Ollie the brewer. When I got back I ignored his instructions and created my own recipe it ended up mediocre.

I'll try to remember to come back and say more when I have a real keyboard in front of me.

Good to know. thanks

I'm hip. I haven't brewed an altbier yet either(hangs head in shame). I wonder, if given some lagering time due to the WL029 yeast, would it still be as good or similar? I happen to like that yeast. a lot. And a good recipe would be great.

Watching all these videos again. That Ollie is one fun guy by the looks of things. Class act.

Time to make more Alt real soon.

Love the lacing on those Alts. Freaking delicious looking.

Just noticed I never showed the beer I made with the yeast from that trip. Here it is. For reasons that I can't remember, I did not use the recipe information I got from Ollie. When I brew the next alt, I'll try those ingredients.

BTW, I brought that glass home with me - that's a picture at my home, not in Germany.

Ollie Alt

2011-12-24_at_12_21_591.jpg

Man that looks delicious. I love alt! I've only tried to brew it once and wasn't pleased with the results. I really need to make another one soon.

Loved reading this thread and watching the videos! I now live in Dusseldorf and haven't hit the altstadt as hard as I would like but I've only been here for a bit less than 3 months now. Uerige is my favorite alt but Bolten is a close second.

I'm getting my brauhaus set up only now and this post definitely inspired me to go knocking on brewery doors to see if I can't snag some yeast! Luckily I speak German but it looks like you did just fine in English! Prost!

Back