Low Efficiency on High Gravity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
I have 5 all-grain batches under my belt and have been having issues gettin good efficiency on the high gravity ales. I have done 2 high gravity ales (1.082, 1.090) and so far they both have come out to 63% efficiency. I have 3 ales in the 1.048-1.067 range and have had efficiency from 73%-80%. Is there some thing special I need to do to the bigger mashes?

That is just what happens. There is a lot more sugar and you are using the same amount of water as you would for your 1050 batches, so it makes it very difficult to extract those sugars. Its impossible to get your efficiency as high as the low-grav batches unless you sparge the crap out of it and boil it down for a very very long time. I get 65% usually, and you just have to compensate unless you want to boil for a long time

oh i do to, i would say dont worry about high gravity beers... lol, today i did a barlywine which was spose to be 1.120, and end up at 1.110, which is at at 69 percent efficiency. but it might have been becuase i my first batch sparge for the first time... (double batch)

That is just what happens. There is a lot more sugar and you are using the same amount of water as you would for your 1050 batches, so it makes it very difficult to extract those sugars. Its impossible to get your efficiency as high as the low-grav batches unless you sparge the crap out of it and boil it down for a very very long time. I get 65% usually, and you just have to compensate unless you want to boil for a long time

Do you think a thinner mash ratio would help? I was using 1.5:1. Would maybe 1.75:1 or 2:1 be more useful?

Not in my experience. I use a thicker mash like 1qt/lb and then sparge more.

You could also run in to mash tun volume issues with 15-20 pounds of grain and 2.0qt per pound mashes. Maybe try adding 2-3 more pounds of base malt like many of the BYO recipes state on high gravity ales?

I'll echo the others, your efficiency will drop on high gravity ales. It's normal.

Latest posts

Back