Cracked my first home brew tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
American Amber. After 9 days in the fermenter and 7 in in the bottle I threw one 12oz. in the fridge last night, cuz ya know, I just couldn't help myself.

Drinking it now, and it's good! Color and body are good, taste is good but slightly sweeter than I would like, and it's a little flat. I think with another week or two in the bottle for the yeast to finish eating that priming sugar and carbonate more, it'll be fantastic!

I'm very excited! :mug:

Congrats on your first beer being drinkable and enjoyable after such a short time. As you already know, with another few weeks in the bottle to condition and carb up you should only get better tasting beer as it goes on.

Like you, I was thrilled at how my first beer turned out. Sure, I wasn't winning any awards with it or anything, but it was amazing that I could make something so tasty!

Get started on that second brew now and get that pipeline going!

My beers improved markedly when I started leaving them in primary for 3-4 weeks. If you can wait that long, it will definitely make a difference. Also, 3 weeks to carb up in the bottles at 70 degrees is the norm. It will take longer with bigger beers or lower temperatures. Think of the waiting time as an opportunity to stock up on bottles that you'll use for later beers.

Cheers!

Sounds almost exactly like my first brew, an amber ale, its been in the bottle now for almost 5 weeks and its definitely getting drier.

Back