RIS Partigyle Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealf

Reaction score
I am planning a RIS partigyle and have run into a question that I am hoping some of you guys will assist me with.

This recipe's percentages are based on JZ's book. I scaled it up to a 10G batch keeping all the percentages at least similar while adjusting my OG to come out at 1.075 (which should yield 5G of 1.099 and 5G of 1.050).

My concern is with the almost 3 pounds of roasted barley... this seems like WAY too much, any advice/input?

p.s. the victory is to help me simulate marris otter (I have way too much US 2row on hand, and I need to use it)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Gus Day RIS (partig)
Brewer: Neal F
Asst Brewer:
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.11 gal
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 56.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.1 IBU (IGNORE ME)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
26.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.4 %
2.75 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 8.1 %
1.90 lb Special B Malt (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.85 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.85 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.85 lb Pale Chocolate (200.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.85 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %

//ignore this
/*
1.50 oz Magnum [12.10%] (60 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
2.00 oz First Gold [7.50%] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
2.00 oz First Gold [7.50%] (1 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
*/

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 34.05 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 42.56 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

Am I doin' it rong?

You might put 2 lbs into the mash for the first runnings, then add the 3rd pound to the sparge for the partigyle small beer. Every time I've done a partigyle, there seems to be very little left of the roast character malts left for second runnings, and the roasted barley just needs a quick steep anyway to get out all of its goodness.

I think I might drop it down to 2 pounds. I have not decided if I will add the final .75 pounds to the second runnings beer.

This brew day is going down Saturday. It turns out we will have to do a split mash because the grain bill is so ridiculous; I did a 26lb partigyle this past weekend as a sort of test run and my MLT was practically overflowing.

I will try to get pictures!

Turned out pretty awesome... I did, in fact, drop the roasted barley down to 2#. The first runnings beer was 1.100 (down to 1.024 now) and the second runnings was 1.056 (down to 1.012). The second beer was so much lighter I just turned it into an american brown ale, it turns out I did not add the 3rd pound of roast.

The brew day was very smooth without any hiccups. Bottling/kegging day will be coming up in a week or so.

I'm going to be doing a RIS in two weeks, and I am interested in making a small beer from the leftover grain as well! What was your procedure? What was the volume on the mash, and do you continuously sparge, batch sparge, etc? What were the volumes of the first and second runnings? It looks to me like you only mashed once, is that correct? Thanks!!

My small beer on the RIS I did was a failure. In fact, it's probably going to be one of the few beers I dump. I thought it might come out like a dry stout but it lacked any roast. I think I used 1.75lb of roasted barley in the main mash and I really should have capped it with a pound when I sparged for the small beer.

I had to use 2 mash tuns to mash this massive grain bill; I could have done it with one cooler if I had one that was big enough.

I batch sparged... but, the first runnings became the RIS... and maybe a bit of the second runnings, whatever it took to get us up to 7G preboil for the RIS. Then we just sparged out 7G of second/third runnings.

Think of it more like a 10G batch with a 14G preboil where the sparges are split (first and second) and you'll be good to go... I aimed for a 10G batch with an OG of 1.075 I think.

My small beer on the RIS I did was a failure. In fact, it's probably going to be one of the few beers I dump. I thought it might come out like a dry stout but it lacked any roast. I think I used 1.75lb of roasted barley in the main mash and I really should have capped it with a pound when I sparged for the small beer.

Bobby,

I was planning on capping but I just decided against it at the last moment, it came out looking like it would make a good brown ale, so I hopped it accordingly and am hoping for the best!

Bobby, what was wrong with the small beer? Was it just completely insipid? Can you think of anything you would do differently besides some more roast? I know the partigyle method is mostly used for Scottish ales and that stouts may not give the best tasting second runnings.

I keep tasting mine hoping it would age well but it just doesn't taste right. I can't say it's infected but it's just blah. It's got a thin mouthfeel and no aroma of any kind. I was hopeful because the ESB that came from my barleywine's seconds was fabulous (though I did cap that with a pound of C80L to bring the color/sweet back.

Maybe I'll do a quick carb tonight with my carbonator cap and see if it's salvageable. I could always call it Budweiser dark and give it to my neighbors.

I could always call it Budweiser dark and give it to my neighbors.

Yes you could... yessss yoooouuuu cooouuulllldddd!:D

*thinking to self* they'll probably still hate it because it's one of those 'dark' biers!:confused:

Schlante,
Phillip

I can't say it's infected but it's just blah. It's got a thin mouthfeel and no aroma of any kind.
Bottled the second runnings from my RIS last night. Also very thin, lacks body and mouth feel. The hop aroma is there, but I used 2-1/4 ounces of hops (mostly late addition) on a 3 gallon partigyle. Part of the problem comes from attenuation. It went from 1.044 to 1.004 on a portion of a fresh Pacman yeast slurry!

The plan was for the RIS to be 1.095 and the partigyle to be 1.040. RIS was low at 1.090 and the partigyle high. With the attenuation, my lawmower beer is over 5% abv. :cross:

Not sure what to call it. Light reddish brown with all American hops. Probably like nealf's, it'll be an American Brown.

Not sure what to call it. Light reddish brown with all American hops. Probably like nealf's, it'll be an American Brown.

For what it's worth after finally tasting a sample of the small beer portion it is much darker and roastier than I expected it to turn out, I was judging color based on what I saw in the racking tube. I was very pleasantly surprised with the way beer this came out and will be entering my last two bottles into an upcoming competition as an American Stout. I will post back the results when they come back in; however, I think the beer is a solid mid-30s beer.

It might be a bit overhopped for an american stout:

.54 oz Magnum (12.1AA) @ 60 min
1 oz Centennial @ 10 min
1.75 oz Centennial @ 1 min

When British breweries party-gyled Stouts they would always use some of the first runnings in the smaller beer. That and throw some black malt or roast barley into the smaller beer during the boil.

Back