Bottling Early without Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cawooda

Reaction score
Is it possible to bottle my beer at a higher specific gravity, i.e earlier if I forfeit the sugar I add to each bottle. I am not using a secondary container. Will there be enough initial sugar in the solution to complete the bottle conditioning. If so what SG should I look for to bottle.
I realise this post smacks of impatience, and this is true but there is an element of curiosity involved.
Thanks folks
:fro:

I would not do it. There is really no way to determine how much further the fermentation will go. You run the risk of creating a bunch of bottle bombs. Just let your beer ferment out, rack it over into a bottling bucket with 4-5 oz of priming sugar (corn sugar), bottle it, and then forget about it for 3 weeks at room temperature. You will be a much happier camper this way, as opposed to dodging the exploding beer and glass from your bombs. Trust me!

John

Thanks but alas due to finicky time zones my impatience led me to proceed without advice and OUCH!! there goes another one now. Let this thread be seen by all newbies!

LOL

Thanks for the help. I will practice a little patience here on in.

if you repeat the same beer with consistent results multiple times, you can do some calculations based on the final SG under pressure that the yeast can attenuate to, to figure out the correct volume of co2 for your beer, to find out the SG that you need to bottle at. you will need to monitor it on a daily basis though in order to make sure you do it correctly.

OR - you could just wait and do it the 'regular' way, and not have to do complicated calculations and make sure your brewing is extremely consistent...

In theory you can do it if you know exactly what your FG will be. Then you would just bottle 3 points early. Of course, it's pretty difficult to predict your FG exactly.

I read somewhere this is what they did during prohibition when they made beer illegally. They added sugar to bottles or just bottled the beer before it was done fermenting to achieve carbonation in the bottles.

You have to do it just right or you'll either blow up some bottles or end up undercarbonated.

Back