What's your S/HHMBO's opinion on Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your She/He WMBO's Opinion on Beer

• Can't Stand it

• Will drink/try certain beers

• Will try anything I try/make

• Could drink me under the table

• I have to get permission to use "their" brewing equipment

• Not applicable :(

Results are only viewable after voting.

McKBrew

Reaction score
What does your significant other think about beer/homebrew in general?
Mine can't stand it.

Can't stand beer or just homebrew? Many women don't like bitter, hoppy ales and that's what we tend to make.

[poll needs a Not Applicable, but I'll express my opinion anyway.]

Generally she doesn’t like beer, but I have found a few...Leffe Blond and some fruit beers. I buy those for her as much as I can. Hopefully her beer tastes will grow overtime like it did for wine.

My wife deffinatly knows what she likes and her tastes like all of ours change with time. She can for sure hold her own with the big boys and has been known to drink the newbs under the table just for fun. Its like sport hunting! back in college I was her official ankle holder for 'holy **** watch that 5 foot tall girl go' keg stands.

david_42 said:
Can't stand beer or just homebrew? Many women don't like bitter, hoppy ales and that's what we tend to make.

[poll needs a Not Applicable, but I'll express my opinion anyway.]

Sorry should have included it. I don't see a way to modify the poll or I would.

Mine tries at least a taste of everything I make but she prefers light lagers (doh); she's not a big beer drinker anyway, she goes for the hard stuff. I did get her to try Seirra Nevada Pale Ale recently and she said she liked that.

My wife will drink beer. She's sampled most of what I've made. Her preference is to mix her beer with coke. Yup, you read that right. She's German, and apparently that's a pretty common drink over there. She prefers it with a darker beer. We had one called an alt schuss - I'm guessing it was mixed with an alt beer. I'm thinking of brewing an alt for her. Her family also drank a lot of "Radler". This is beer mixed with a lemon (or maybe lemon-lime) soda. IMO, both are drinkable and not horrible, but I'd rather just drink my beer straight up.

I am fortunate in that SWMBO not only enjoys the beer I make, but has very good feedback. She doesn't like wheats (I rejoice) mainly due to the carbonation levels, but she still tries them. She likes hoppier ales than I! :cross:

My girl is all Bud Light, but I've gotten her to try all my homebrews. She doesn't like any of them, but the raspberry one and the peanut butter brown were less offensive to here than the others.

My wife taste tests all my brews and gives me feeback on them. She doesn't at all any more however. Just a sip to see if she likes the taste.

My lady is a "Lite" fan, but she will try anything I drink, as long as I go first. She says some aren't to bad, but she's all over the place. Sometime she likes an IPA, sometimes it's a Bock. There is no consistency. It's all good though, I like a challenge. I'll find her something to take the place of that corn water if it's the last thing I do!

Mine doesn't really like beer in general, but she can be convinced to try a porter or stout. She has tried a cream ale and liked it, and she likes Chimay blue.

My wife hates everything about beer. She'll sample a little here and there, but is usually followed by a nasty beer face and a complaint about how nasty it is. I just keep telling her to keep sampling until she finds one she likes, hoping she'll eventually aquire a taste for beer :D

The good thing about my situation is that she supports my hobby and lets me buy pretty much what I want.

McKBrew said:
The good thing about my situation is that she supports my hobby and lets me buy pretty much what I want.
Amen to that. Mines the same, though she does think it's funny that I'll spend so much time and effort making beer, when I could just go out and buy it.

My wife is not a big beer drinker, but she has good taste when she does drink beer: she hates BMC, likes big hoppy PAs (but not over-the-top IPAs) and so on. She seems to like Hefes and wits, too.

I made a batch of mixed berry mild for her--she claims that she really liked it, but she didn't drink much of it, and I don't really care for it either. I use iot for cooking sometimes.

Trace is a beer snob and my brewing partner :)

I ALMOST voted for I need permission to use her equipment, since it was her birthday present, but that wouldn't be true. :)

IowaStateFan said:
Amen to that. Mines the same, though she does think it's funny that I'll spend so much time and effort making beer, when I could just go out and buy it.

I don't have that problem; mine knits and spins yarn so she "gets" the wanting to have homemade stuff over storebought.

My wife is a beer drinker, so I am lucky there. She tries everything I make, and is starting to figure out what she likes most. She is starting to ask about how hoppy the beer is, since she really likes hoppy beers especially IPAs. It sure helps out when she is supporting the habit, I mean hobby of beer brewing.

My husband is becoming quite a beer snob, and his favorite beers of all time include two of my homebrews- the MYbock and the Dead Guy clone. He loves most of my beers, but is not really much of an IPA fan. He'll "help" me drink a 16 ouncer or two, and then go back to the maltier beers. One of his favorite summer beers is a Fat Tire clone, so that's coming up soon.

To be honest, I'm almost glad that my wife doesn't drink beer. I mean, if she did, it'd be really nice that she'd probably be more interested in the brewing process, could possibly pretend to be intersdted a little longer when I blather on about mashing temps or whatever...

But if our household beer consumption were doubled, I honestly don't think I could find the time to keep supply even with demand. I can usually manage about 15-16 batches a year, which leaves room for giving some away, cellaring the big beers, etc. But finding a brew day every 3-4 weeks is challenge enough sometimes.

SWMBO used to drink more often in her younger years, but always gets a REALLY bad headache from alcohol, so she doesn't drink very much anymore. So far, I've yet to makt anything she likes, but she'll try a sip when I ask her too.

She generally likes miller light or amstel light, but she likes some of the fruit beers too. I'm working on her.

A few years back, when I first joined the board, the first few posts were asking what style I could make for my wife, who hated my brew. You all told me to make what I like and there would be more for me, since she wouldn't be drinking it. Well, I haven't really changed what I make, and swmbo's tastes have. Now I wish I was the only one in the house who liked my beer. I have to double my brewing.

loop

Mine loves all beers - as long as they're Miller Lite. And really, she's been on a red wine kick lately so she rarely drinks beer.

I'm lucky. My girlfriend loves everything I brew and can really hold her own, as rdwj and Cheesefood can attest.:) She has brewed three partial mashes on her home stovetop in the last couple of years and usually is there to help me when I brew.

When we met, she was a Bud drinker, but she soon came to loathe the stuff. She is a hop-head. If there is an IPA on the beer menu, that is what she will order. If there isn't one listed, she'll ask if one is available. Her favorite part of brew day is smelling the hop additions! :D

Rhoobarb said:
I'm lucky. My girlfriend loves everything I brew and can really hold her own, as rdwj and Cheesefood can attest.:) She has brewed three partial mashes on her home stovetop in the last couple of years and usually is there to help me when I brew.

When we met, she was a Bud drinker, but she soon came to loathe the stuff. She is a hop-head. If there is an IPA on the beer menu, that is what she will order. If there isn't one listed, she'll ask if one is available. Her favorite part of brew day is smelling the hop additions! :D

Never a good idea on this board to refer to your woman and say she can "Hold her own". We've seen WAYY too many examples of "women" "holding their own".

Cheesefood said:
Never a good idea on this board to refer to your woman and say she can "Hold her own". We've seen WAYY too many examples of "women" "holding their own".
Ha! Good point. Okay, she can "keep up with me".

My wife's a true convert, in many areas of culinary delight. These days, she's a willing taste-tester, and she's been a big fan of most of my brews---save for the pine-tree porter, which I can't blame her, cuz I don't like it either.

She's also gone from only drinking sweet Rieslings and white zins to throwing down on the most badass cab francs from Chinon. A truly impressive evolution if I may say so myself.

And she's even a fan of hoppy beers. A few months back, I and she did a horizontal tasting of all of Dogfish Head's hoppy pales. Shelter, 60-min, Aprihop, 90-min, 120-min. And she didn't bat and eyelash.

My SWBMO, like a few others, was the one who bought me my first equipment--she calls herself the 'Brewhilda' and yells at me for not sanitizing well enough. We both love English beers, so despite her taking her fair share of the beer, I couldn't be much happier. She's even excited for when we get a more permanent place and I can put in a bar. :D

My wife hates beer, and really isn't much of a drinker, anyway. In college they used to call her "One Can Anne" for obvious reasons.:D

My fiancee loves lambics and fruit beers, and hates BMC. I'm making a fruit wheat for her now. Not a fan of anything hoppy though, so she ain't touching my IIPA, but she still gave it, and all my others a try, and actually said she could stand to drink my IIPA, quite a lot coming from someone who thinks that SNPA is too hoppy.

My wife is a beer snob and will drink just about anything we make. Not big into the IPAs or anything in that IBU range. She likes to brew with me but she's not as addicted to brewing as I am. She did give me a great compliment last night though, we were at a local brewery for the first time and out of 9 beers in the sampler she said that my beer was way better than 8 of them! I couldn't compete with their traditional German Hefe though...

Back