couple of noob questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridemywideglide

Reaction score
I got about 25#'s of what appear to be concord grapes from a friend and thought I'd experiment with some wine.
As of now I have them all de-stemmed, sitting in a bucket. I have no local source for campden tabs tho. Is there some other form of this chemical I can buy at other-than brew stores? I did grab a pack of katadyn water purifier tabs and sports authority, but this stuff is sodium chlorite 6.4%, and sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate 1.0%....

I think I'm gonna end up taking these back and waiting for some campden, but thought I'd ask about another option..

Some people skip the sulfites altogether & just pitch a big yeast starter. Probably better than giving the grapes back... Skip the katadyn chemicals - that's for making safe drinking water while backpacking. What about getting campden tablets mail order?

The chemicals are potassium or sodium metabisulphite. I don't believe they are used for much outside the wine industry.

I have seen stump removers that use sodium metabisulphite, but A. probably not food-grade and B. about 100 times as much as you'll even use.

If you use a couple packet of dry wine yeast, you should be okay. K1V-1116 is a competitive factor yeast that will run rough-shod over wild yeasts.

Sodium bisulfite or metabisulfite is used to dechlorinate aquarium water, but just because it doesn't kill a goldfish I don't think I'd put the stuff from the pet store in my wine. Better just to make a good healthy starter like everybody else is recommending. I'm sure it'll be fine. Plenty of time to order some online before racking time.

Thanks for the replies.. I ended up ordering some campden online. Just stuck the grapes in my beer cooler. I did, however, forget to order wine yeast. I've got some ale yeast onhand, think that will work without ruining the batch?

Back