Double Brewday (indoors)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I'm going to make a Stone Ruination Clone, and Jamil's Oatmeal Stout.

The crush (the IIPA):
DSCF2069.jpg

The Gear:
DSCF2071.jpg
DSCF2070.jpg

The reason I'm staying inside:
DSCF2072.jpg
That's my keggle and burner out there. Brrrrr. I'll have to juggle pots on the stove, but I'm NOT going out there today. It's way too early to freeze for my beer.

Yes, have a blast, Y. I was off yesterday and brewed up a batch.

But it was a beautiful autumn day (if a little grey), was great fun sitting outside, enjoying the birds, changing leaves and crisp air. None of that white, cold and wet stuff!

You know, I should. I have a webcam set up somewhere, and a laptop out at my cottage. Maybe someday I'll get motivated to do it.

Too much of a hassle lugging all of that crap out of the bedroom, isn't it Yoop? We want to see lots of pictures...you know, of the brewday.;)

Yeah I was wondering if you were getting it up there.

I'm not sure how to take that, so I'll just answer "Yes!" to the question.

More pictures:
Starting the boil for the IIPA while the sparge water for the stout heats.
DSCF2073.jpg
Oatmeal stout- mashed in.
DSCF2074.jpg
Weighing the bittering hops for the IIPA.
DSCF2075.jpg

Wow, I hadn't even thought about snow this early. It's about 80 and foggy, rainy down here ... but still brewing.

Ommegang Three Philosopher's clone here. Wish I had some of that cold ground water!

cheers

~r~

Link to Stone Ruination Clone?

More pics!!

14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 70.5 IBU

1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (30 min) Hops 21.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU

2.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Should be around 1.076 OG
IBUs 103

I've never made it before, but I have a real hankerin' for it.

Ah the cold north :) Glad you are staying comfy inside, is the one on the right a 7 gallon pot to be able to do full boils on the stove?

It's a 30 quart- so that's 7.5 gallons. I can do full boils, but watch it closely until after the hot break. I have 6.25 gallons in it right now, boiling.

The coolers come that way, at least mine did.

It's been about 34°F in the morning here, but no snow yet. Just ice all over the car in the morning. Can't wait for brewing season to start! :D

Well I am Da MAN! (So to speak). The stout is starting to bubble, at a beautiful 68 degrees. The IIPA is at 66 degrees, and I'm sure it will be starting soon. The stout used S04, and the IIPA had a nice active starter of pacman yeast. I did miss my mash temp on the stout- mashed a little high at 156, which dropped over the 90 minutes to 154. I think it'll be fine.

I made two brews, did two loads of laundry, and then made dog biscuits out of a little of the spent grains. I wish I could do that again tomorrow- but I have to work most of the day tomorrow.

I just did my second ruination clone on sunday.Is that the recipe from zymurgy?I upped the magnum on this one so hopefully it will be a little cloer than the first.lookin good.

Back