Best source for root beer extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried rio, rainbow, zatarain's, and my own work in progress home brew root beer extract. Zatarain's is a good choice, it tastes good, and is very cheap if you buy it from zatarain's main website. I must admit that the rainbow root beer extract was my favorite, having a good mouth feel, best/strongest aroma, and the flavor is what you'd expect from root beer with a aftertaste of licorice.

It was sold off by whichever of the big three were contracted to bottle it.
The brand is alive and well in Sandy, UT which includes one of the original "Big H" drive-ins. In and around Salt Lake City you can find the extract in grocery stores or you can buy it direct:
http://store.hiresbigh.com/rootbeer-extract
Thanks for this! I've been looking for Hires extract since it disappeared when I was making the stuff years ago as a kid. If there was something that could distract me from beer for a while it is this!

I use two-ounce bottles of McCormick's Rootbeer concentrate for 5-gallon kegs. With vanilla, it tastes similar to A&W Rootbeer (IMO). The entire neighborhood loves it.

I buy the extract from Winco, Walmart and Safeway. You can also purchase it on Amazon.

Here are some recipes from various sources:

Homebrew Recipe 1 (found elsewhere on HBT, can't remember the thread):

2oz (1 bottle) McCormick Root Beer Extract
64 oz Light Corn Syrup
1 lb Dark Brown sugar
3 lb cane sugar

Heat 6 qt water in stock pot to simmer, add corn syrup and sugar. simmer 30 minutes. Cool pan in ice bath to 90.

Transfer to keg/bottling bucket

Add Root Beer extract, bring volume to 5 gallons (top off keg)

Carbonate in keg or proceed with yeast method in bottles.

McCormick's Recipe:

2 ounces McCormick® Root Beer Concentrate
5 pounds sugar
5 gallons lukewarm spring water, (approximately 95°F)

MINE

2oz (1 bottle) McCormick Root Beer Extract
1oz Real Vanilla Extract
32 oz Light Corn Syrup
2 lb raw cane sugar
2 lb light brown sugar

Heat 6 qt water in stock pot to simmer, add corn syrup and sugar. simmer 30 minutes. Cool pan in ice bath to 90.

Transfer to keg/bottling bucket

Add Root Beer extract and real vanilla extract, bring volume to roughly 5 gallons in keg.

Force carbonate in keg or proceed with yeast method in bottles.

Has anyone used the tones version of root beer extract? Just picked up a bottle was going to try the same recipe as above with vanilla and syrup.

The best extract I have found is from the Home Made Soda Company.

They are great!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

I picked up a case of Zatarain's root beer extract off Amazon, Really couldn't beat the price. a 12pk of extract for $25 with Prime..

Sprecher makes the best root beer extract we have ever done. It is a huge success with all our friends and family (cream soda is good too).

(Note: must be kegged...not an option to yeast carb.)
I want to add it to kombucha on the 2nd ferment. Do you think it could work for that?

Back