Hops Group Buy in Chicago #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The database has been updated and I have removed all those hops not available. For those hops that are only available in 44 pound boxes I have left them up and as can run numbers to see how close we are to getting them as we come closer to closing out the group buy.

Gotcha. Don't know what that would be. So no interest in making a run at some cheap cascade?

OK, here is an update on the hops that require 44 pounds. This includes the outstanding splits.

Cascade -22 pounds
Hallertau - 22 pounds
Saaz - 11 pounds
Simcoe - 55 pounds

OK, just added another cascade split. I might as well utilize the low prices. I mean, even if I don't use them, for the price I'm dumb NOT to pick some up!

I went ahead and upped my Simcoe and Cascade orders by a pound each. For that price, why not?

I'm all for limiting orders to something less than maybe 2-3 homebrewers could use in a year. You can only hoard and share so much hops (I plan on sharing probably a pound or so of my 3# with some friends who aren't active on HBT). But if someone ordering a lot gets us up to the next 44#, I guess that's OK...

EDIT: Just looked at my credit card bill and realized that I've spent $170 in the last week on hops and shipping. How did that happen?? Back down to 1# each, gotta get this under control.

Is it reasonable to start wraping up ordering by this weekend or early next week? Or will more time be needed?

I'm willing to bet that Motueka split will not be in stock if the Topaz and Galaxy weren't. Worth a shot though.

Is Chinook available? Reason I ask is that it is still in my order screen, but I saw it wasn't available. Or did my coffee not kick in yet?

I think when the split is all taken it goes away and then you have to start a new split. Look back a couple pages for the split sizes.

I think when the split is all taken it goes away and then you have to start a new split. Look back a couple pages for the split sizes.

I guess what I'm asking is if the original split is still valid since it was listed as not available. I already have my 1lb. Just verifying that it wasn't passed over when the purge was completed.

Put in an order for 6#'s. First time participating...looking forward to the hoppy goodness :mug:

BigInChicago said:
I guess what I'm asking is if the original split is still valid since it was listed as not available. I already have my 1lb. Just verifying that it wasn't passed over when the purge was completed.

Pretty sure it was missed on the purge

Shipping Charges

Below is an email from the hops company regarding shipping costs. I am thinking that we should estimate shipping costs on 11 pound cartons regardless if it's one or more cartons, or 44# cartons. Once we get the totals i can refund people who overpaid for shipping their money. The database will calculate the cost per pound.

There is no typical shipping cost, it will fluctuate often depending on cost of gas, the total pounds shipped, how many boxes and cost of the product.

1-44# box of Cascade via UPS Ground est. $33.87

5-44# boxes of Cascade via UPS Ground est. $149.35

1-11# box of Zythos via UPS Ground est. $15.33

4-11# in 1 master pack box of Zythos via UPS Ground est. $33.24

More than 9-44# boxes of 200/lbs we ship on a pallet, max would be 30-44# boxes or 130-11# boxes…prices due vary.

30-44# boxes via UPS Freight est. $416.30 ETA 4 business days

130-11# boxes via UPS Freight est. $479.56 ETA 4 business days

What should we set as the cutoff date? I'm thinking Friday at midnight. Then hopefully people can paypal me during the weekend and I can order Monday or Tuesday.

Also, all of the splits need to be accounted for, meaning that they all have to be taken up. If after we close it out there are splits I will ask people who wants them before dropping them. If the splits cannot be "filled" then they will be dropped. Also, do not open up another split unless you're confidant that it will be "filled"; maybe talk to people about splitting stuff.

At a glance, it looks like many of the splits are not going to be filled by tomorrow and this whole thing will go belly up. I hope that's not the case!

I say close earlier so we are more likely to get hops that may sell out, also to save my bank account from me thinking I need any more hops.

At a glance, it looks like many of the splits are not going to be filled by tomorrow and this whole thing will go belly up. I hope that's not the case!

The problem is that people are opening up new splits instead of seeing what's already available. There are 3 Simcoe splits that are no where near to being filled. I wish people would ask on this thread on how to use the database if there not sure what's going on.

I think it would be helpful if the completed/filled splits were shown as such somewhere so we can get an idea of the total tally.

The problem is that people are opening up new splits instead of seeing what's already available. There are 3 Simcoe splits that are no where near to being filled. I wish people would ask on this thread on how to use the database if there not sure what's going on.

Can someone force combine the splits into one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back