Fairly new, many questions, help anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanbrew

Reaction score
Ive done many batches before and bottled but im currently doing a IPA and will be kegging it for the first time!!!!!!!!

So on with the question's.....
1) i used Irish moss last 15 mins of boiling,but beer VERY cloudy in 2nd fermenter, can you cold crash an IPA and How exactly do you do this? is this recommended?

2) I'm in a hurry to keg this keg ready to drink in 3 weeks (only in 2nd fermenter for a day now) do you think its possible with that little of time?

3) Ive heard of some clearing agents you can use in the secondary fermentor, what are they, how to use them and do you reccomend using them?

4) im taking the keg (corny keg) with me on a ice fishing trip. will it be fine to place in a 5 gal bucket with ice and serve it that way or is there a better method? i just bought a party tap with a quick disconnect for the corny keg?

5) I know i have many more questions so i wont overload them now ANY RESPONSE BACK IS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!

I can't help you much with the keggin questions...i only bottle but,

1) my experience with Irish moss didn't necessairly clear the beer a whole lot. I cold crashed once with an over carbonated beer.

3) Some people choose to FINE their beer using unflavored gelatin (Jello). I think it is pretty much the same process as PRIMING. I haven seen this technique used much here on HBT, but read it in a book.

4) Anyway you find to keep it cold should be fine.

I would suggest not being in a hurry for anything when it come to beer. Patience will only make you beer better.

You'll probably be surprised how it will clear in the secondary fermenter after 10-12 days. If you have somewhere you can crash cool it after a week or so it will clear even faster. Then you can keg and force carbonate and it should be drinkable in your time frame, but it may not be at it's best flavor given the short aging time.

I have not used finings myself so I can't tell you about that. Haven't really needed to, just being in the secondary for 10-14 days usually clears it up really nice for me.

4) im taking the keg (corny keg) with me on a ice fishing trip. will it be fine to place in a 5 gal bucket with ice and serve it that way or is there a better method? i just bought a party tap with a quick disconnect for the corny keg?

Only concern I would have is whether or not you primed the keg to carbonate the beer. Since you've bottled in the past I'm sure you're familiar withe the concept and took care of this.

In all my brews I skip the secondary in favor of a longer primary to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves. Since you're kegging you can do your 'secondary' inside the corny and give the beer a chance to brighten up. Also, I think you'll find that kegging provides a much, much clearer pour. After the first pint, which will be trub that you want to toss, everything comes out clear as a bell.

Back