when is this year's commercial hop harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
when is this years commercial hop harvest? do you think it will help prices much?

Im not exactly sure when but I wouldnt expect any hop price drop. Honestly I dont think they will ever go back to where they were but my LHBS says the shortage will continue untill next year at least.

I beleive it starts the end of next month. I would also expect to pay more for 08 than left over 07. Get your wallet out. I saw an add on ebay for 08 cascade already, it started out as 3.5 lb lots, after bidding and offering a buy it now, the bid was cancelled by the seller due to their error in saying lb not oz. I thought it was to good to be true but had to try anyway:D

Harvest is coming up soon, but it usually take until the end of Septemberish to get it all packaged and shipped out. Also, from what I hear don't expect the market to be flooded with cheap hops this year. Hop plants take a couple years to mature to their full capacity and with the shortage just really becoming apparent last year, there hasn't been enough time to grow the plants to full potential. I would expect the shortages to get better year after year though.

Our club is visiting one of the local growers on Sept. 6th. We get a tour and usually some "samples" to take home after we feed him BBQ and homebrew. It was a lot of fun last year.

Some of the early varieties will be coming in mid-August, but it takes a couple months to get them in the system. Dave at Freshops will probably have new hops earlier than anyone else. He buys bales straight from the drying sheds and hauls them home in his pickup.

Hopmadness 2008 is August 30/31. The harvest is in full swing by then.

Back