question from a soon to be beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zbeeblebrox

Reaction score
ok so me and a few friends(mostly me) have decided to take the leap and start to brew our own beer on a small scale. looking at different sites and doing a little bit of searching we came across this kit http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6873 . to us at least it seems like what we are looking for.
also for a if we decide to go with their kit does anyone have any thoughts on their recipe kits or have a suggestion, we want something simple to start with

It's got all you need to start but I'd recommend getting the kit that comes also comes with a carboy. This will allow you to do secondary fermentation. As far as what to brew first, all the kits from Midwest are good and easy to brew. Find something you like and just go for it.

The kit will be good to get you started. As you progress and become more experienced you will want to get more equipment. This kit, like all other kits I've seen, don't come with a brew pot or bottles. You will want at least a 16 quart stainless pot. For bottles try scrounging all the non screw top bottles you can find. You will have to clean and de-label them but it will save you money. Oxyclean or ammonia both work great for removing labels.

As far as an ingredient kit goes, just pick a style that you like and give it a try. You will be brewing ales at first as lagers requires special colder temperature control.

Good luck and let us know what you end up brewing. :mug:

I keg, but I have been saving up my micro brew bottles -- not to hijack this thread but a question that I have that might also be helpful to the original poster -- when I save bottles from six-packs, how/where can I find decent case-type boxes or containers to store them in by the case?

zbeeblebrox: good luck with your first batch!

I second Lost Pirate. I would spend that extra 20$ and get The Kit with The Carboy.

You'll also want to start collecting bottles. Like mentioned above, drink micros and save the bottles. Maybe even go to a recycling center. I've heard of guys getting a bunch of bottles doing it that way.
Also, keep an eye on CraigsList for gear. That is where I have gotten the majority of my equipment.

Back