Sam Adams New Albion Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it in stores last week and then I reread the newest brew magazine and saw it in there. Anyone make this yet? I'm curious.

I bought a sixer...

I like it, but my honest appraisal is it tastes like a 50/50 dillution of Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Definitely Cascade hops...American 2-row with a higher mash temp.

Think SNPA minus crystal malt and flameout additions.

Still, a perfect pizza beer with a great story.

I wasn't a big fan. Perhaps my expectations were too high given the story/history of the beer. But in the end it's a SMASH beer with 2-row and Cascade. Nothing wrong with it. Just not something I would go back to.

It was okay. But what was the likelihood it tastes much like what was brewed 30 years ago? So what's the point?

With what is available today, it's more of a novelty than anything else. If you look at what was happening to American beer though, 30 years ago, it was a huge leap. I listened to the Basic Brewing Radio podcast where they had Jack on and talking about it. Basically, it's a two row SMASH with Cascade hops. Because cascade was the only hop he could get at the time. My guess is that it's probably pretty close to what was brewed 30 years ago, if nothing else, for the simplicity of the recipe. The yeast would probably be the biggest factor.

With what is available today, it's more of a novelty than anything else. If you look at what was happening to American beer though, 30 years ago, it was a huge leap. I listened to the Basic Brewing Radio podcast where they had Jack on and talking about it. Basically, it's a two row SMASH with Cascade hops. Because cascade was the only hop he could get at the time. My guess is that it's probably pretty close to what was brewed 30 years ago, if nothing else, for the simplicity of the recipe. The yeast would probably be the biggest factor.

I can understand trying to honor New Albion and maybe helping out Jack McAuliffe, but, as you said, yeasts are different, probably different water. Malts are more fully modified, certainly different equipment. IIRC from a video I saw, the recipe (as simple as it is) came just from the memory of Jack McAuliffe. I still think it's unlikely that one is getting a taste of the past.

Back