Heads up hop heads - Mosaic (HBC 369) at freshops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djavatar

Reaction score
Mosaic (HBC 369) is on sale at http://www.freshops.com.

I wanted to give these a try so I had to order some to go along with the ridiculous amount of other hops I bought this fall. Not sure if other places are going to get this hop or not...

Cheers!
-Dave

Please order via freshops.com if interested as the freshhops.com shopping cart is down.

Hoppily,
Dave Wills
Freshops

ordered 2lbs. hope they are good.

probably use magnum for kettle hops then get nasty on late additions and load my hop rocket to the brim. that should expose these hops for what they are.

Just got mine in. They smell fantastic! Soon as I opened the mailbox I could smell them. Tropical fruit punch, little earthy. Definitely going to use these ASAP!

Ordered only 8 oz as I have already ordered too many other hops this year(if there is such a thing:D). Can't wait to try them. Thanks for the heads up.:mug:

I got mine yesterday and can't wait to put these to use as well. Mosaic just cut in line and is next up in the pipeline. Citra, Amarillo, El Dorado, and Belma take a seat. :tank:

I got mine yesterday and can't wait to put these to use as well. Mosaic just cut in line and is next up in the pipeline. Citra, Amarillo, El Dorado, and Belma take a seat. :tank:

Have you found any 2012 El Dorado yet? Anyone else having issues with Fresh Hops website and Apple? I've tried both sites and can't get anything into my cart.

Thanks!

Have you found any 2012 El Dorado yet? Anyone else having issues with Fresh Hops website and Apple? I've tried both sites and can't get anything into my cart.

Thanks!

Ya, but I can't give away all my secrets. ;)

I ordered my Mosaic from freshops on my Mac air with no problems. I use Chrome though.

Thanks!

I had the same issue last week with the cart and their site. Sent them an e-mail about it, and it still doesn't work a few days later.

Just vac-sealed up the majority of my 2lb order.

This is a very aromatic hop. It has that candy smell of Simcoe which is very pleasing. I've sealed up several pounds already from this years harvest - Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, belma, cascade, centennial etc. This one is right up there on aromatics and resin. I'm brewing an IPA with them tomorrow - gonna be a long wait till' the first pint.

I have 8oz on the way. Thinking of a recipe along the lines of

14 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 95.0 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 %

28 g Mosaic [12.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 37.7 IBUs
28 g Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 26.3 IBUs
57 g Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 13.9 IBUs
57 g Mosaic [12.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

WY1056

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.9 %
Bitterness: 77.9 IBUs
Est Color: 7.2 SRM

Looking forward to it

edt: fixed an error with the 5 min addition, changed 1oz to 2oz.

I've been working on various ipa recipe's that don't include much if any Crystal, but use oats instead. After I read that Deschutes Angler 2.0, which used mosaic, adopted the same strategy - I decided to give it a shot. Critiques welcome.

OG: 1.062
FG:1.015
IBU: 73
SRM: 4
ABV: 6.2%

12.5lbs (84.7%): Pils
1.25lbs (8.5%): Vienna
1lbs (6.8%): Oats

1oz Warrior@60
.5oz Mosaic @20,15,10,5
1oz Moasic @0
.5oz Simcoe@5,0
Dry Hop 1oz Mosaic, .5oz Simcoe

Yeast 1056

Post back your opinions on them when you guys get finished beers.

I might get me some along with some simcoe and some more amarillo. I was really impressed with the leaf hops they have over the stuff hops direct has.

FATC1TY said:
Post back your opinions on them when you guys get finished beers.

I might get me some along with some simcoe and some more amarillo. I was really impressed with the leaf hops they have over the stuff hops direct has.

Indeed. I got a lb of amarillo leaf while other people are fighting over pellets.

I just don't have the freezer space to store whole hops. I would have to buy a whole other chest freezer just to house the whole hops with the amount I use/buy.

I just don't have the freezer space to store whole hops. I would have to buy a whole other chest freezer just to house the whole hops with the amount I use/buy.

Invest in a foodsaver.

I bought my first load of hops from freshops and got leaf amarillo, cascade, and magnum. Then I ordered Chinook, Cascade, Belma, Comet, and some more Magnum, along with some Citra, Amarillo and Belma pellets.

I think I'm gonna do one more buy, and get some Willamette leaf, Mosaic, Simcoe, maybe another 1/2 lb of Amarillo, and some Simcoe and that'll be it.

I bought a foodsaver, and it's easy to break them down into 2-4oz bags, squeeze the air out, and they are pretty flat actually. I can stack up 2 lbs of hops in less than 14 inches high. I've got some that aren't even frozen, just vacuum packed and stored in the kegerator.

Well with this $100 order and last weeks hop direct $100 order hopefully ill have enough hops for a couple batches. Thanks for posting!!! I am pumped to try something new!!

What size bags do you use with your food saver?

I get the roll, and make my own size. I'll run a larger bag, enough that I can open it, and seal it again if I don't use it all in one use. I'll save a bag if I can put more hops and seal it. They aren't cheap, but work great.

Goodwill is THE place for used FoodSavers/Seal-a-Meals

Unfortunately, there is NO place for cheap/reliable bags.

I have 8oz of Mosaic and I will be brewing with half of it on Thanksgiving weekend. I'm brewing my typical NW Red Ale/Holiday IPA with them. I usually use a combo of Simcoe/Amarillo or Simcoe/Centennial (Simcoe/Cascade in a pinch) in this recipe.

I'll be isolating Mosaic in this batch and will post an update around NYE.

13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.10 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.50 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
0.50 oz Magnum [20.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.0 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.30 %] (20 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.30 %] (10 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.30 %] (1 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.30 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

I had no luck with Craigslist or Goodwill for a foodsaver. My mom gave me a cheap vacuum sealer that she bought a few years back, no luck, the one bag I sealed didn't pack hard and leaked after a few minutes. I searched around and ended up buying a foodsaver v2244 from amazon for $60 delivered. I'm going to re-package my mosaic tomorrow.

What size bags do you use with your food saver?

I use pint, quart, and gallon bags.. but mostly pint bags and a few QT bags. A pint bag will hold less then or up to if you squeeze 4 oz of whole hops, a gallon will hold a lb, and the qt are good for amounts in-between. Sometimes I will break a bag down into what I will need for the next few batches, sometimes I just take what I need and reseal.

It would be more economical to get the sleeves so you can make long bags that can be resealed more often as you take hops out but I tend not to have those around. When I am sealing a lot of stuff, hops or food, its kind of a pain. I use mostly QT bags for food.

Unfortunately the bags I get from Freshops I can't reseal, I cut them just to the top of the hops and put them into a compatible bag for sealing when I open them. I just got some bags from Northwest hops which look like they are compatible with a consumer food sealer (textured inside) so I am hoping those can be resealed.

These are the bags I have been using:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270762546116?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They have different mixes of bags. Last time I just ordered a pint and qt mix. There are other vendors. YMMV.

My local Target has a TON of the FS bags on sale. I got 5 rolls of the make your own size bags for under $10.

Perhaps a moderator could split the vac sealing discussion into a new thread? It would be nice to stay on topic for future brewers who want to learn about mosaic.

Cheers

There are about a thousand vacuum sealer threads on the forum. You are right, that discussion belongs in another thread. This should be a Mosaic feedback thread.

Back